Colorado Elk Pack Out Roku

Zim

Randy,

Oh jeez was surfing Roku today and noticed you just posted your Colorado pack out video a few hours ago! Uhhhh you pretty much looked like you were gonna die. I sure am glad I got lucky in AZ so can put that off at least another year. Also glad I got one more year to see what the archery tag point creep does. From what I've heard the bulls are up on top then, not dropped back into that hell hole for the rifle seasons. Any forest trails at all in there where a guy could pack sidehill or downhill then have a horse pack out?

Randy,

Oh jeez was surfing Roku today and noticed you just posted your Colorado pack out video a few hours ago! Uhhhh you pretty much looked like you were gonna die. I sure am glad I got lucky in AZ so can put that off at least another year. Also glad I got one more year to see what the archery tag point creep does. From what I've heard the bulls are up on top then, not dropped back into that hell hole for the rifle seasons. Any forest trails at all in there where a guy could pack sidehill or downhill then have a horse pack out?

Guys I talked to said the bulls are on top during the archery season. That would make life far easier.

I think there are some trails, if you find the right place. It would be mostly sidehill, at least where was at. Downhill all leads to private or impassible canyons.

Yes, I was wondering if death had invited me in, using a bull elk as bait.

What were the high temps when you were getting him out? With the sun out it looked bad. You remember total elevation up? I almost shut it off when you were in the middle of the oak brush fighting to get the rack through. :( Really have to think this through for 2018. I am 5 years older than you with many broken body parts reducing my former fitness level. I've only solo packed out one bull in the past. The others were cake walks, including my last time in AZ unit 1 when bull went down on a logging road! And Nevada 1/4 mile downhill. I just don't think I could manage what you did any more. Only way is if I could study trails and line up a horse.

Any way glad you got through it, and everything else will seem easier now? Maybe. Thanks much for posting this on YouTube. It is especially helpful in my situation.

Last edited:
What were the high temps when you were getting him out? With the sun out it looked bad. You remember total elevation up? I almost shut it off when you were in the middle of the oak brush fighting to get the rack through. :( Really have to think this through for 2018. I am 5 years older than you with many broken body parts reducing my former fitness level. I've only solo packed out one bull in the past. The others were cake walks, including my last time in AZ unit 1 when bull went down on a logging road! And Nevada 1/4 mile downhill. I just don't think I could manage what you did any more. Only way is if I could study trails and line up a horse.

Any way glad you got through it, and everything else will seem easier now? Maybe. Thanks much for posting this on YouTube. It is especially helpful in my situation.

Temps were in the low 70s. Brutal hot for November. Part of why 3rd Season success rates were so low in Colorado last season.

As for total elevation, it was 1,400 vertical in about 1.5 miles of total horizontal. A vector straight north for 800' of vertical, covering about a half-mile of horizontal. Then E/SE on a trail along the canyon rim for about a half mile, then another 600' of vertical over the last half mile.

I am so thankful for having a young badass camera guy like Marcus to help on that trip. He enjoys this stuff and keeps smiling, no matter the load, terrain, or conditions.

Where is this video??I'd like to remind myself why I go to the gym after work.I'm sure this would help me from getting lazy

Randy will this full hunt be available in a DVD or YouTube or TV show soon? I must see this one.

Last edited:
I almost puked just watching that! Being vertically challenged height wise, I would have worn 8" off the tips of that rack carrying it out.

Ya I was dragging my Nevada bulls tips going downhill a few blocks. ��

It will be on TV in late September and then on YouTube and Amazon the next day.

Oh another positive about holding off on that hunt this year. Might be a little late to benefit much this year, but fine for 2018. Looking forward to it. Pretty nice bull you got there.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back