MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

YouTube, Behind The Scenes - Don't Shoot An Elk Here

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some small excerpts that are part of our daily life producing the Fresh Tracks TV show and the Randy Newberg, Hunter YouTube channel. Kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't funny for the two days of work invested to extract him. These clips never make TV, due to time constraints, but I put this one out there to show what many of you know very well; that public land elk hunting is not always easy.

I've never been known for intelligence and this YouTube segment is convicting evidence. But, I have found that determination, combined with the mindset of "This is going to be a pain in the ...," are pretty good equalizers for my below average talent and IQ. I often say that consistent success on public land elk goes to those who have the mental expectation that there are times it will not be "fun."

Over the two days of packing this bull out we had some groups come by as we were dropping loads at the trail head. When they asked if we had seen any elk, I pointed out plenty of elk, mostly in canyons similar to this. They demonstrated their superior intelligence by declining the opportunity to fill their tags in similar areas.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
That's powerful stuff, I can feel your pain watching it. I believe you when you say you won't shoot another one in a spot like that.

Better send me the GPS co-ordinates so that I can be sure to avoid it.

That blows. I packed one out of oak brush so thick a horse was not able to be used. Miserable to say the least.

I don't either, we've all said that during the pack out "never again" and then went ahead and did it again. He may not shoot a small bull in a place like that but a big one is in trouble, right Randy?

Will this hunt end up on YouTube? I like to watch hunts like this in my backyard.

Some small excerpts that are part of our daily life producing the Fresh Tracks TV show and the Randy Newberg, Hunter YouTube channel. Kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't funny for the two days of work invested to extract him. These clips never make TV, due to time constraints, but I put this one out there to show what many of you know very well; that public land elk hunting is not always easy.

I've never been known for intelligence and this YouTube segment is convicting evidence. But, I have found that determination, combined with the mindset of "This is going to be a pain in the ...," are pretty good equalizers for my below average talent and IQ. I often say that consistent success on public land elk goes to those who have the mental expectation that there are times it will not be "fun."

Over the two days of packing this bull out we had some groups come by as we were dropping loads at the trail head. When they asked if we had seen any elk, I pointed out plenty of elk, mostly in canyons similar to this. They demonstrated their superior intelligence by declining the opportunity to fill their tags in similar areas.

Thanks for watching.

[video=youtube_share;Z2_QOG2LCrU]https://youtu.be/Z2_QOG2LCrU[/video]

Even in Alaska "sweat-equity" usually pays off.
Areas that are difficult to access pay off year after year.

randy,
what was the tarp you used when you were boning out the elk? I've always laid the quarters on my game bags, but every once in awhile, the knife slips, and those bags ain't cheap! or I hang the quarters in a tree and bone them out catching the meat in a game bag. curious as to the tarp and how heavy it is??

Brutal. I hope your eye is fully recovered.

The TV only viewers will never know what they are missing.

I don't either, we've all said that during the pack out "never again" and then went ahead and did it again. He may not shoot a small bull in a place like that but a big one is in trouble, right Randy?

We're all pathological liars. I suffer from short term memory loss, and find myself asking "why the #*&( did I do this AGAIN?"

We're all pathological liars. I suffer from short term memory loss, and find myself asking "why the #*&( did I do this AGAIN?"

Guilty as charged. I suspect the same story will repeat itself for me in the next year or two, as it will many others here on Hunt Talk. The beauty of hunting is the memories and pleasure last far longer than the pain of the moment.

My grandfather always told me (I dont know if this was his original quote or from some other badass)..."If you want to be a tough guy, you have to do tough guy shit."

What a great moment Randy. Ive never packed a bull out from a spot like that but, in some ways I feel like those hard times are the ones you miss when its not elk season. I feel like most hunters ponder those times throughout the rest of the year when youre at work, doing random errands, and just participating in life. Its when you think of something like this in the comfort of all your good stuff that you get that little smirk and think to yourself..."yeah I did that."

Pretty awesome. Only people that go through that type of struggle appreciate it like that. Thanks for sharing Randy!

Back