Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Backpack bear hunt( from the mountain)

teamhoyt

Well after arriving at the trailhead about midnight Wednesday we spent the night at the truck and headed up the hill in the morning.

Once at the top we were overlooking an awesome looking valley so we set camp and glassed all day but only deer and elk were spotted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 314
It was a pretty warm night and we were up at the crack of dawn. It was nice to step out of the Tent in long johns and crocks and get right to glassing.

No bears at daylight so messed around, had some mountain house breakfast and decided what to do next.
We settled on going over the top and started breaking down camp, at 9:30 I took a break to go glass again and spotted a decent chocolate bear about a mile and a half away. We watched it as it sat down on its haunches for a few minutes then it did a 50 yard walkabout and went back into the trees.
We are currently sitting overlooking the meadow it was in this morning, bored out of my mind and pretty sure any thoughts of him coming back out is a pipe dream.

Anyone ever have the bear come back out? I need some encouragment so lie to me if you must lol

Love the live hunts. I have seen bears in AK multiple times pop out in the same little areas to feed. A friend once missed a nice bear only to wait and an hour later it came back out in the exact spot he missed it. The second time around it wasn't so lucky and took a boat ride home. Good luck!

Great thread, thanks for posting! Beautiful country. I'll be checking to see your progress. I know nothing about bear behavior but if he popped out once, and wasn't disturbed, there must be a good chance he'll pop out again. Its probably just a waiting game. Good luck!

We seen a sow and 2 Cubs this morning. It's was cool just to watch them mess around for a while. Heading home now. Probably the last trip for the spring season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back