Caribou Gear Tarp

Fallow Rut

Kiwi

Its the end of the fallow deer rut in New Zealand and yesterday I headed out for a day hunt to see if there was still any fallow rutting action.

After leaving home at 3.30am, and a 1 hour walk I was glassing some clearings. I spotted a red hind and yearling, bit it was a buck I was after. A few minutes later I spotted a decent 10 point red stag which wasn't the target species but was too good to pass. I took the 305 yard shot. The shot didn't feel good and I wasn't confident of a hit. After searching unsuccessfully for blood I was sure it was a clean miss :( oh well, at least I could keep hunting and try for a fallow.

After a 30min walk I spotted two fallow does, but no buck appeared even after a few grunts. I became impatient so decided to check out another area and return later in the day, but while moving away I saw the buck running towards the does! I high tailed it back to get within 120 yards and grunted again and waited. After wait seemed like forever the does appeared and then the buck walked out. I took the shot and I had my buck down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back