Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

prairie rattler

wytex

Here's a nice 10 button rattler about 3 1/2 ft long. Off to find some food judging from his loose skin, or maybe about to shed.

DSCN0781.jpgDSCN0784.jpg

That's a fatty! Nice accoutrement on the posterior.

Rattlers creep me out. I don't mind them if I know where they are, but my hearing sucks and I'm afraid I'll step on one or put my hand on one someday. Anyone ever been bit by one?

We let 'em all walk if possible. They take many mice and rats. This one didn't ever really buzz, guess he could sense no ill will. Got him off of the road and onto a safe spot, away he went towards the creek. Be careful out there fishing .

Great pics. I haven't found my first of the year yet, but looking forward to it.

I couldn't have let him crawl away. I don't mind non poisonous snakes, but the poisonous ones have to go.

Nice pics.
I know they're all around me, but I've never seen one in my yard, although I have picked up two roadkills with a mile of the house. Just 30 miles east of Albuquerque. I understand prairie rattlers are not very likely to rattle. The only one I ever encountered in the field didn't rattle, just remained coiled and let me nearly step on it.

I couldn't have let him crawl away. I don't mind non poisonous snakes, but the poisonous ones have to go.

The last time I killed a rattle snake was the only time I've ever been close to being bit. Now I just make a wide loop around.

You're missing out on some fine eats Tarheel. I have a Governor for just that purpose.

I have eaten some rattlesnake; tastes like frog legs. I guess I should have qualified my statement by saying that over the years I have had to kill a few belligerent cottonmouths which insisted on crawling into my pirogue but as a rule if they're not bothering me I don't bother them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back