NRA Warns Hunters to Prepare for War

They're a second amendment protection organization not a hunters rights organization

They are also a right wing political organization. They are definitely not public land advocates.
They will never take a stand against PLT because that is an issue being pushed by the republicans and the NRA supports those same republicans.

I am a life member, but thoroughly unimpressed with their performance.
They are lukewarm at best at fighting for gun rights.
I suppose the perpetually never ending "fight "is better for their pocketbook, which would explain why there seems to be very little interest in seizing the moment.

They called me continuously urging me to tell my representatives to support Jeff sessions nomination for Attorney General, simply because he's pro gun.
320,000,000+ people in this country, over half of them are pro-gun and that steaming pile is the best they can come up with to promote.

Last edited:
They are also a right wing political organization. They are definitely not public land advocates.
They will never take a stand against PLT because that is an issue being pushed by the republicans and the NRA supports those same republicans.

I've been told I need to set aside the right left thing and join with anyone who'll fight for keeping public lands public and I intend to. Seems like a logical thing to do when we consider whether we'd like to have firearms when we visit those public lands?

I've been told I need to set aside the right left thing and join with anyone who'll fight for keeping public lands public and I intend to. Seems like a logical thing to do when we consider whether we'd like to have firearms when we visit those public lands?

That shoe only fits one foot

I am a life member, but thoroughly unimpressed with their performance.
They are lukewarm at best at fighting for gun rights.

Why do you believe this? Conceal Carry is now legal in all 50 states with some being constitutional carry. Restrictions on AR type firearms have been removed. Whether you support these issues or not, the NRA was instrumental in shaping firearm policies and politics. I don't agree with everything the NRA says or does nor do I like the fear mongering they seem to resort to for their revenue stream but to say they are "lukewarm" on gun rights is a little misguided.

My concern is the NRA's fight for "gun rights" seems more a facade these days for their political support of the broader republican party agenda which on matters of conservation are not helping the cause of wildlife or land access. As momentum builds to resist the PLT agenda by hunters, campers, hikers and conservationists, the NRA will feel more pressure to separate from the Republican Party platform. We are a major part of their constituency - please *%$&# represent us!

Thanks a lot. I just spent 2 hours commenting in the comment section of the article. Amazing how quickly you can get sucked into that wormhole. Commented as AmericanHunter if anyone is interested. Not sure if they will approve my post since they all include punctuation and are thought out!

This has been very insightful for me. Thank you for sharing your perspectives and experience. I've had firearms in my life since I could remember and always consider thought I was pro second amendment but the NRA never settled right with me. This form help articulate what I have felt.

Why do you believe this? Conceal Carry is now legal in all 50 states with some being constitutional carry. Restrictions on AR type firearms have been removed. Whether you support these issues or not, the NRA was instrumental in shaping firearm policies and politics. I don't agree with everything the NRA says or does nor do I like the fear mongering they seem to resort to for their revenue stream but to say they are "lukewarm" on gun rights is a little misguided.

Well there actions are currently helping politicians​ who want to transfer federally managed land to the state of Idaho. If that happens I can no longer legally go out on it and target shoot.
Is that what you want the NRA to do?
I'd prefer the NRA not only protect my right to own guns but also my right to shoot them.

The NRA is like most organizations that "support" social issues. They will lament about how bad the issue is, but they don't want it to go away. If it did, there goes all the funding and their reason to exist. Hate and fear are powerful tools. Germany in the 1930s?

If not for the NRA putting pressure on Congressmen & Senators we wouldn't have much in the way of second amendment rights anymore, I'm a Life member and proud of it. Say what you will, we still have gun rights because of the NRA. P.S. I think Nugent is a worthless loudmouth.

Have not been a member since the early 80's,before they went to jack booted thug scare tactics.

Someone said the NRA is trying to use hunters as a platform for gun rights. I'm a good example of a hunter who loves rifles and conservation. I don't own a hand gun and probably never will (personal choice) and I don't support the NRA and probably never will. Their influence on 2nd amendment issues is admirable, but they just pound away as an attack dog for the GOP. I wish they would support public lands, conservation and preserving what we have left of our wild places. Maybe then I'd send them some money. But as long as they are an extension of the oil industry and mining special interests - forget it.

Have not been a member since the early 80's,before they went to jack booted thug scare tactics.
Same with me.
My Montana Hunter Education card dated 1957 certifies completion of the NRA Hunter Safety Course following instruction from the NRA HUNTER SAFETY HANDBOOK. At that time NRA was all about firearms safety and ethical use of firearms, particularly for hunting. IMO, NRA has morphed into a radical right wing, anti-government high-dollar lobbyist organization ... intent on spreading fear and negativity regarding firearms ownership in order to amass huge sums of money.

Dems would have me hunting with slingshots, then confiscate the slingshot. Ask our Aussie friends about shooting dad's old Auto 5.

Dems would have me hunting with slingshots, then confiscate the slingshot.
Case in point; NRA has you ... hook, line, and sinker. As an independent politically, the rhetoric of some prominent radical Dems had me with similar stressful paranoia. Then someone reminded me that in the past eight years of a Dem administration and Congress, now firearms are allowed in the national parks and other constraints have been softened ... so are you going to believe the facts and the reality or will you continue to believe your NRA "lyin' eyes"?!

Well there actions are currently helping politicians​ who want to transfer federally managed land to the state of Idaho. If that happens I can no longer legally go out on it and target shoot.
Is that what you want the NRA to do?
I'd prefer the NRA not only protect my right to own guns but also my right to shoot them.

The mission of the NRA is to protect our ability to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms. There mission does not include protecting public lands from transfer, nor should it be. Each organization has to pick and choose what fights they want to participate in, resources are not infinite for any organization. My membership supports my ability to own firearms.

BHA fights for hunting and fishing on public lands. Although you could infer that supporting hunting means supporting firearms their focus according to their mission is for public land access to recreate. My membership supports them to do just that. I want them to spend the bulk of their resources on public land issues, and not get involved in 2nd amendment protectionism.

RMEF mission is to "conserving, restoring and enhancing natural habitats; promoting the sound management of wild elk, which may be hunted or otherwise enjoyed; restoring elk to their native ranges; and educating members and the public about habitat conservation and our hunting heritage." Again, no mention of firearm protection even though hunting elk is part of their mission. My membership is to aid in the conservation efforts for Elk.

Each 501c focuses on one specific purpose. Say the NRA decides that PLT is just as important as the 2nd amendment. They would immediately alienate members who think PLT is a good idea. Their membership would dwindle. It just doesn't make sense.

The mission of the NRA is to protect our ability to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms. There mission does not include protecting public lands from transfer, nor should it be. Each organization has to pick and choose what fights they want to participate in, resources are not infinite for any organization. My membership supports my ability to own firearms.

BHA fights for hunting and fishing on public lands. Although you could infer that supporting hunting means supporting firearms their focus according to their mission is for public land access to recreate. My membership supports them to do just that. I want them to spend the bulk of their resources on public land issues, and not get involved in 2nd amendment protectionism.

RMEF mission is to "conserving, restoring and enhancing natural habitats; promoting the sound management of wild elk, which may be hunted or otherwise enjoyed; restoring elk to their native ranges; and educating members and the public about habitat conservation and our hunting heritage." Again, no mention of firearm protection even though hunting elk is part of their mission. My membership is to aid in the conservation efforts for Elk.

Each 501c focuses on one specific purpose. Say the NRA decides that PLT is just as important as the 2nd amendment. They would immediately alienate members who think PLT is a good idea. Their membership would dwindle. It just doesn't make sense.

Well said. Each organization has it's own mission. The NRA's is the preservation of the 2nd amendment. It has nothing to do with the public land fight nor should it. I do not always agree the NRA but it is the best thing going for the 2nd amendment. Don't be complacent when the opportunity arises the Dem's will take another run at your rights.

Back