MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A Hoosier looking west!

INJones

I realized that I started posting without an introduction.

Im a native of central Indiana with 36 years of hunting in my rear view mirror. Most of my hunting has been in Indiana with a mix of public and private land. I have been out west guided hunts. I have a teenage son who is starting to hunt after years of not wanting to hunt. I am looking forward to a windshield full of teaching my son about hunting small game and whitetail in IN and the two of us figuring out the DIY western hunting.

Thanks for the great info that have already been shared!

Scott

Welcome fellow Hoosier! DIY hunting out West is addictive tons of land and it belongs to all of us. Good luck on your hunting adventures with your son!

Thanks all

Happy to meet you Redman. I've seen a few other Hoosiers here on Hunt Talk.

I'm glad Gov Holcomb signed HB 1415 to clarify the regs regarding rifles on private land here in IN. I'm looking forward to using my 7x57 this fall.

I'm going to sign up for the family BHA membership. Are you a member and do you know if there is a group of Hoosier BHA members? Closest Chapter appears to be MI.

Welcome from a fellow Hoosier transplanted to CO. Plenty of us running around here on HT. I get nostalgic for home quite a bit and miss the people but could never give up Colorado ;) I'm an Indy guy with family in the Warsaw area so most of my Hoosier hunting (didn't start until I was 33) has been in the Warsaw area and Stueben County. IN firearms season is a close second to 2nd elk/deer here in CO for me :)

Welcome and good luck this fall! There are getting to be a few Hoosiers on this forum.

Thanks all

Happy to meet you Redman. I've seen a few other Hoosiers here on Hunt Talk.

I'm glad Gov Holcomb signed HB 1415 to clarify the regs regarding rifles on private land here in IN. I'm looking forward to using my 7x57 this fall.

I'm going to sign up for the family BHA membership. Are you a member and do you know if there is a group of Hoosier BHA members? Closest Chapter appears to be MI.

INjones,

Yep, there are a few of us flatland Hoosiers on here. I was disappointed that they allowed high powered rifles and the way they ignored the DNR that already said NO is not right. That being said I used my .300 WSM last year and am glad they changed the rifle rules to make sense. We are just to flat and overpopulated to let everyone use a high powered rifle on deer. Only a handful of the people out there understand what the guns are capable of and what they are not.
Truthfully I had not heard of BHA until I joined this sight and have not researched for any chapters close by. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions.

...I was disappointed that they allowed high powered rifles and the way they ignored the DNR that already said NO is not right. That being said I used my .300 WSM last year and am glad they changed the rifle rules to make sense. We are just to flat and overpopulated to let everyone use a high powered rifle on deer. Only a handful of the people out there understand what the guns are capable of and what they are not...

I hear you on some aspects of this issue. I agree that we are on a very slippery slope having politician legislate wildlife management decision. That should be DNR's job. Let experts do what they do best and keep the politician out of wildlife management.

I also feel that DNR's stance toward firearms is inconsistent. If a hunter can use a 30-06 handgun, then a fellow should be able to use a 30-06 rifle. There is no logical argument, in my mind, that would sufficiently explain why DNR thinks a cartridge should be legal in a hand gun but not a rifle.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/ -- Important for us from the Midwest. I want to have the freedom to hunt on the land we own!

anyways, I will leave this for another thread if needed. This is the welcome thread, not discuss wildlife politics.

Last edited:
To all, again thanks for the warm welcome.

1_pointer, SFC B, LCH, Indiana50, JDH and joelhunter also very pleased to meet more Hoosiers. Throw in Redman and we all would fill up a campfire.

Indiana50 as trying as a 16 year old boy can be, there is not much better in this world than the time we spend together in the field.

See you out there in the threads and hopefully in the field.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back