Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First Sea Trout of 2017

devon deer

I ventured out tonight for my first outing this season, waiting for it to get dark is the worst thing, waiting for the green grass to turn gray, then its time to start, not an ideal night, the moon was out and the temperature started to plummet, i wasn't expecting much, nobody else had caught one on the river this year.

First few casts, nothing, as it got darker something snatched at the fly, i re-cast to the same area, let the tube fly swing across the river, bang, fish on, damn, fish off!

Cursing i moved down river, changed tactics, cast my fly upstream and did a fast figure of eight retrieve, the river exploded and the fish spent more time out of the river than in, 2lb 11oz of fresh run Sea Trout.

Cheers

Richard

Looks like fun. Can't wait to give it a try. According to the information you provided in your thread last week, it said that May is a good time to catch many of the runs larger fish. Three lbs. of pissed off fish makes for a fun time on a 6 wt. Does the run numbers fluctuate very much from year to year? If so, what are the projections for this years run?
I will have to google the figure eight retrieve as this Yank is not classically trained in the finer arts of the fly.:eek:

Last edited:
Well according to youtube, I just learned that a figure of eight retrieve and the hand twist retrieve are one and the same. Keep those pictures coming.

Night time fishing adds to the mystery and wonder of the proceedings. Congratulations on the first of many this season.

Thanks chaps, i hope it stays this way!

If so, what are the projections for this years run?
Difficult to say, runs do vary each year, but just like our Atlantic Salmon there aren't as many as there were 30 years ago, i usually take a few in the early months, but return most after July, i return around 75%.
There were a lot of fish jumping last night so the signs are looking good.
I also noted a lot of smolts (2 year old young Salmon about to head out to sea) last month, that was a very encouraging sign.

Very nice. Can you tell whether it's a hatchery or wild fish?
It would be wild as we don't introduce any hatchery fish into the river.

We used to get a lot of your mink in our river, released many years ago from the fur farms, then the otters started to increase in numbers, no more mink, but they are causing a problem eating too many fish!

Cheers

Richard

I won't bore you too much, but got another last night, temperature was barely above freezing, the worst conditions for catching a Sea Trout, but i managed to winkle one out.
Rain forecast for tomorrow so it should bring in some more fish.

Cheers

Richard

Great job Richard. How long do the Sea run trout spend in the salt before their return to fresh water? Also, are they able to spawn several times in their lifetime or are they a one and done fish?

They will spend a few months at sea and then return, about 3/4 will return to the sea after spawning.
This time of year i do keep a few, but as the season progresses i return more and more, i never keep one in September, our season ends 30th September.
Cheers
Richard

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back