Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default WY access question

    Using OnXmaps to help with my pronghorn draw entries. I found a section of Wyoming state land that is contiguous with some "fingers" of BLM land. All in all it's about 2,400 acres of public land. The only issue is that it is in an unit that is mostly private land. The access to all this land would be from a public road that enters the extreme southwest corner of the Wyoming State Land. In OnXmaps the public road travels 50 ft across the WY State Land. The whole road appears to be within the public land but I would only be able to pull off on the right and remain on public land.

    I hope that is clear. Basically a good chunk of public land can only be accessed by 50 ft of public road.

    Is it legal to pull off the road here?

    If it is legal, how likely would I be to get a visit from a local rancher or WY Game warden?

    Thanks,

    Scott

    Edit: There are other area's to hunt in this unit but it is a vast majority private unit. Access to this land would be useful as it looks like good habitat for pronghorn.
    Edit: I did check the County website and reviewed the County road map before I posted. It is a county road.
    Last edited by INJones; 05-04-2017 at 05:17 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    you should be able to pull off right there,,,you got your x-map to back you up if there is a land ownership question.shouldnt turn into a issue I wouldn't think.

  3. #3

    Default

    From what you've posted I'd say go for it!

  4. #4

    Default

    I have pulled off of a 4 lane road several times and parked my truck entirely down in the ditch for a few hours at a time. Not saying you won't have any issues but I haven't. Don't be surprised if you aren't the only one with the same plan though. Best wishes, hope you shoot a dandy!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    423

    Default

    If the public road crosses the public land, then I'd say hunt it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muskeez View Post
    I have pulled off of a 4 lane road several times and parked my truck entirely down in the ditch for a few hours at a time. Not saying you won't have any issues but I haven't. Don't be surprised if you aren't the only one with the same plan though. Best wishes, hope you shoot a dandy!
    We can't hunt until during the week in the last half of Oct, so hoping the opening Rush is over! Tha nks for your thoughts

  7. #7

    Default

    Do not forget to look at the Private Land Public Wildlife page for Wyoming. A number of mostly private land units have access in them via Hunter Management Areas and Walk in Areas. In some HMAs the number of permission slips is capped for the first part of the season, but unlimited for the last part. By looking at this program it could open up quite a few potential units for you to consider.

  8. #8

    Default

    This year will also be my first trip out west, I'm from Oklahoma and we have very little public land. I'm curious if while on a county Rd (on BLM) I come across an oil field road that is very well used can I drive down that road if its on BLM and can I continue on that road if it crosses private for a short stretch then back onto BLM? I'm having trouble finding rules about that on BLM website and Wyoming game and fish, thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RSchaffer View Post
    This year will also be my first trip out west, I'm from Oklahoma and we have very little public land. I'm curious if while on a county Rd (on BLM) I come across an oil field road that is very well used can I drive down that road if its on BLM and can I continue on that road if it crosses private for a short stretch then back onto BLM? I'm having trouble finding rules about that on BLM website and Wyoming game and fish, thanks for the help
    Check with the county. They will have maps of county roads that you can use to tell if the road is public all the way up. I have seen this exact situation go either way, often it depends on the landowner.

  10. #10

    Default

    You would have to have permission from the private landowner to drive the road across the deeded land. Oil field roads on private are not public roads in Wyoming.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RSchaffer View Post
    This year will also be my first trip out west, I'm from Oklahoma and we have very little public land. I'm curious if while on a county Rd (on BLM) I come across an oil field road that is very well used can I drive down that road if its on BLM and can I continue on that road if it crosses private for a short stretch then back onto BLM? I'm having trouble finding rules about that on BLM website and Wyoming game and fish, thanks for the help
    I look at your map/image and I see a couple of area's that look like they could be great opportunities if you take a hike away from the road!

    Otherwise I agree with others regarding public/private roads.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INJones View Post
    I look at your map/image and I see a couple of area's that look like they could be great opportunities if you take a hike away from the road!

    Otherwise I agree with others regarding public/private roads.
    Our plan is to camp inside the unit several miles, the reason I was asking about the roads is because I would hate to walk in 3-4 miles then find out someone can drive in on top of us, looking to get as far away from roads as possible, thank you for the reply

  13. #13

    Default

    From the picture you posted, you could only drive until the road crosses onto private. After that, you would have to have permission from a landowner to continue driving the road which is on private ground, even if it's just a little section like in the middle of your picture. That type of thing has frustrated me and I'm sure many others over the years. Chances are, there will be people driving that road who either got permission from the landowner and surely there will be guys without permission driving that road risking getting caught or not (playing dumb when a landowner stops to talk to them) It's annoying, but that's public land hunting. So your best bet is to track down the landowner and just ask or you will have to hike in.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RSchaffer View Post
    Our plan is to camp inside the unit several miles, the reason I was asking about the roads is because I would hate to walk in 3-4 miles then find out someone can drive in on top of us, looking to get as far away from roads as possible, thank you for the reply
    I know exactly what you mean... but just because you are following the rules doesn't mean they will I've had guys drive cross country on me in WY

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RSchaffer View Post
    Our plan is to camp inside the unit several miles, the reason I was asking about the roads is because I would hate to walk in 3-4 miles then find out someone can drive in on top of us, looking to get as far away from roads as possible, thank you for the reply
    I see, the land of opportunity lies outside the boundaries of the image!

    Sounds like you have a good plan.

    Know the rules but don't be surprised when other don't follow the rules.

    Good luck and hope you tag a nice one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •