Caribou Gear

New Mexico Unit 18, 36, 37, and 38

AggieVato

I have an August archery hunt in units 18, 36, 37 and 38. This is going to be my first time antelope hunting and only my third hunt with a bow. I was thinking on spot and stalk maybe try one of the decoys you can put on a bow.

The main question I have is what unit would some you concentrate on. That's a lot of country to cover.

Try making a road trip from Mountianaire to Carrizzosso to San Antonio. That is mostly if not. All in unit 18. Hit the dirt roads as well. Lots of public land in there and I've seen a fair number of antelope.

Now you're talking. Green chile cheese burger.

There is some pretty good stalking terrain that is kinda broken in parts of that area. Seems like you may be able to find some ground that will help you put the sneak on. I've see some decent numbers around Claunch and ther is a dirt road between there and Bingham that looks promising to scout.

Be sure to check your license. It should be valid for 1 unit only. You should have selected a unit when you applied for your hunt. For the archery hunts they don't assign you to a ranch.

Good call. I didn't realize that. What unit do you have AggieVato

It's an archery tag (ANT-2-182) and good for units 18, 36-38. I'm pretty familiar with unit 36 and 37 and from what I have seen both seem to have small herds of pronghorn; I would think that unit 37 hold more than unit 36. I am not familiar with 18 or 38 at all. I plan on going scouting in September and glass all the blm and state land in unit 38 and 18 and see my options.

I now debating on using a decoy or buying a blind to put next a water hole. I'm leaning towards a decoy because I know I not a sit and wait kind of guy.

It's an archery tag (ANT-2-182) and good for units 18, 36-38. I'm pretty familiar with unit 36 and 37 and from what I have seen both seem to have small herds of pronghorn; I would think that unit 37 hold more than unit 36. I am not familiar with 18 or 38 at all. I plan on going scouting in September and glass all the blm and state land in unit 38 and 18 and see my options.

I now debating on using a decoy or buying a blind to put next a water hole. I'm leaning towards a decoy because I know I not a sit and wait kind of guy.

I'm following up on this, curious to know how your hunt went last year? I just found out i drew the same tag for August.

your fine. if you have 18 just travel between San Antonio and Capitan and take your pick. The biggest problem you are going to have is not finding them, but finding a way to get close enough for a bow. Typically pronghorn is a long distance shot with a high powered rifle. This said, I am terrible at archery. Best of luck.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back