Cleaning ram horns?

AlaskaHunter

Any suggestions on best way to clean the mud/dirt etc especially for broomed horns?

I have a bunch of ram horns that I want to clean up so I can make some ram horn clock / coat hanger projects.

Oxyclean? Bleach? Peroxide? Simple Green?

Thanks.

Skeeter

Soapy water is fine, as long as it leaves no residue that might darken the color; Oxyclean or any type of degreasing soap(laundry type), but do not use bleach, peroxide, furniture or cabinet cleaners. I use a stiff plastic brush to get in the cracks.

Just to reiterate, don't use bleach or other harsh chemicals! They will weaken horns, antlers, skulls, etc. I think I would just try water first, and if not happy with the results maybe try a little Dawn dish soap.

What he said^^^^^^^ I just need one nice set.

Thanks...I will try soaking in a 30-gallon garbage can with water/mild detergent.
I appreciate the NO BLEACH advice as that would be my mistake if I did not ask!

In Alaska, state residents can hunt rams at no tag cost every year from Aug 10-Sept20, and I was
an avid Dall sheep hunter when I was a youngster (back in my 40s).

Nice those are gonna look great. While up in AK I once saw some awesome carving work made of ram horn and also moose. Those look like nice rams.

Dawn plus a scrub brush may be all it takes? Nice ram horns! I bet you have lots of memories and stories from the good ole days!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back