PEAX Equipment

Zinke to tour Bears Ears on Monday

mfb99

Interior Secretary Zinke will be touring Bears Ears National Monument on Monday.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/331728-zinke-to-tour-bears-ears-monument-amid-trump-review

I think very soon we will get an idea of what side of the fence secretary Zinke will be riding his horse.....

Will he be the advocate for public land that he claims to be?

Or, will he pull his horse up to the Oil, Gas and mining hitching post?

Now is the time to make your voice heard, call your congressional leaders and let them know you support OUR Public Lands.

Cheers

Mark

Bears Ear is an abuse of the Antiquities Act's Presidential authority, in my humblest of humble opinions. This should have been held for our Representatives to evaluate versus a single person deciding 1.7 MILLION acres. If there is a select area of vital historical or scientific value that is one thing... however, Bears Ear is no Grand Canyon... a FAR reach from such and a shame to devalue the pride of our true vital historic / scientific interests of our monuments and an affront to Congress / Theodore Roosevelt's intent when made an Act.

edit: Heh... I almost feel like JC, on the other side of the issue. Almost... JC you hold an esteemed title I could never touch. :)

Last edited:
Bears Ear is an abuse of the Antiquities Act's Presidential authority, in my humblest of humble opinions. This should have been held for our Representatives to evaluate versus a single person deciding 1.7 MILLION acres. If there is a select area of vital historical or scientific value that is one thing... however, Bears Ear is no Grand Canyon... a FAR reach from such and a shame to devalue the pride of our true vital historic / scientific interests of our monuments and an affront to Congress / Theodore Roosevelt's intent when made an Act.

edit: Heh... I almost feel like JC, on the other side of the issue. Almost... JC you hold an esteemed title I could never touch. :)

When it takes 70 years to get anything done on this particular designation, I don't think the scaled-back Bears Ears NM was an abuse. The real abuse is congress refusing to do their job and designate lands as monumnets, wilderness, parks, etc and simply work to crater them through defunding, refusing to modernize and ignoring the will of the people in favor of their donors.

If we left it up to legislators the grand canyon would a giant reservoir ringed with uranium mines. TR couldn't and didn't leave it up to the legislators and neither should we now. If I didn't have to worry and the current rape and pillage regime, I may by less of an advocate for monument designation.

Just how many decades should a critical decision protecting important places be a can to be kicked down the road?

Our country is based on Representatives. There is Congressional due process. You could ask yourself that same question about many proposed legislation still waiting to work its way through the masses... I value our due process, as an American.

It seems like the main arguements against Bear's Ears are fabricated B.S. Not surprising considering the source of these statements are anti-public land extremists primarily from Utah. http://www.hcn.org/articles/fact-checking-hatch-trump-on-bears-ears-national-monument

You can put me down as a National Monument supporter. They have protected some of our nation's greatest landscapes.

After doing a little research on the many years and effort that went into getting Bears Ears protected, I am glad that Obama designated it a monument. I spent a few days many years ago backpacking in that area and it is well deserving of the protection.

There was a lot of anger when Clinton created the Upper Missouri Breaks Nation Monument. Now it is a major tourist draw that brings in lots of money to the small dying agriculture towns in the area. I have floated the river many times and spoken with many locals. Almost everyone that I talked to, at least grudgingly, agreed that it has been beneficial to the local economy and has not created any burden.

Good grief, the designation didn't even change that much, just provided some extra protection to preserve the Native American artifacts and natural beauty.

This is about two things:
1) Crapping on Obama's legacy
2) Utah not recognizing the legitimacy of federal lands

It will be interesting to see what happens if this ends up in the courts.

Agreed. Never mind the act calls for the smallest possible area. I'd be very happy to see it right sized along the line the PLA called for.

Do any Bears Ears fans want to confirm or deny if traditional habitat improvement projects; water development, controlled burns, chaining, weed control are allowed in a National Monument?

Do any Bears Ears fans want to confirm or deny if traditional habitat improvement projects; water development, controlled burns, chaining, weed control are allowed in a National Monument?

I will only speak for the Monument closest to me, Upper Missouri River Breaks. Yes, all of those projects you mentioned are allowed and have occurred....other than the chaining.

IIRC GSENM was the first in a long time to get the green light for a green tree chaining in Utah. I know the office in the northern 1/3 of the state were only allowed to chain after a fire. Green trees were dealt with more expensively and less efficiently than chaining...

I fully support the Bears Ears NM.
The land is not now & never was Utah's to lay claim too.

If you insist on digging & drilling everything up for the profit of a few at the expense of many,and leaving it a wasteland for the public to deal with,then maybe you should start in your own yard,if it does not effect me.
Then you deal with me. Looks like some folks want to deal with millions of me's.

For those who wish to see small Bears Ears National Monuments, perhaps several hundred one to five acre sites would be sufficient protection. They would be interspersed across the vast landscape of the Bishop Bakken oil and gas field comprised of millions of extraction acres, with great access roads established and maintained by the BLM with federal tax dollars. The tourist draw would be the travel through the field of many wells and extraction facilities, competing with the heavy truck and industrial vehicle traffic, and enjoying the contrast of ancient Native American sites surrounded by modern, then later defunct, oil and gas wells.

For those who wish to see small Bears Ears National Monuments, perhaps several hundred one to five acre sites would be sufficient protection. They would be interspersed across the vast landscape of the Bishop Bakken oil and gas field comprised of millions of extraction acres, with great access roads established and maintained by the BLM with federal tax dollars. The tourist draw would be the travel through the field of many wells and extraction facilities, competing with the heavy truck and industrial vehicle traffic, and enjoying the contrast of ancient Native American sites surrounded by modern, then later defunct, oil and gas wells.

I remember reading The Lorax in grade school. It was a children's book by Dr. Seuss. The doom and gloom you mention would have happened decades ago if the energy deposits existed.

The issue is abuse of the Antiquities Act again by provincial progressive presidents; first Clinton and then Obama. WY and AK have exceptions in the Antiquities Act after FDR created Teton and Carter locked up 10M acres of AK. Trump should correct what's happened the last two decades and then have this law changed to require legislative approval for all proposals; just as WY and AK have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back