Inexperienced from MN

Arcola

Hi all,

Checking in from Minnesota. I'm a lifetime small gamer, angler, outdoorsman. Never had access to private land, so I've always been a public land guy. Picked up big game a five years back, on my own. No big game hunters in my family to show me the way. I'm enjoying that, but am admittedly still very green. I've always pined over the mountainous country out West, and after some health issues, have had that epiphany that so many of you have had. I need to experience what I can, while I can. I stumbled across this DIY public land elk guide by some guy named Randy, and it's all been downhill from there. I'm heading to Colorado this fall for an OTC archery elk tag, come hell or high water. My only expectation is a new experience.

Welcome from Iowa. CO archery elk was my first western hunt also. You will love it!!

Welcome aboard. If you want to speed up your learning curve, bet involved with some of the local chapters of the conservation groups (RMEF, BHA, etc). Nothing beats having some contacts who can help you put your plan together.

Welcome! I have a simliar story as you. Also from MN, just went on my first DIY Solo elk hunt in colorado last year. It was the best experience of my life.

Welcome, man.

I'm in close to the same boat as you, though I've been a MN/WI whitetail hunter for as long as I can remember, I'm heading West for the first time this fall as well. I wish you luck and look forward to reading about your adventure.

Phill

You won't regret elk hunting

Hello, I'm also from MN, new to the site but not the conservation movement and I have been elk hunting once, six years ago. I'm actually going this fall to WY elk hunting and was going to see if anyone had rifle hunted unit 85. To inexperienced from MN and Northstar, you are on the right path. You won't regret the time, cost, and effort that it takes to elk hunt. It is so worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your welcoming comments. Sounds like a good number of you are already leading down the path I'm hoping to. I'll be researching and training in the coming months. I'll no doubt be spending a lot of time hanging out here, soaking up the knowledge. Thanks again.

Good luck, even if you don`t score an elk you will walk away with an experience second to none. Aspen`s in SEP, a smell that will haunt you forever

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back