Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Need Help - Looking for a new Hunting Vest

MikeS

Hello Everyone.

I need to start with how happy I am to be a part of this forum and that I am looking forward to speaking with you all and hopefully finding answers to my problems.

As I already mentioned in my introductory post, I'm quite new to hunting and currently I'm trying to get my equipment together. Right now I'm actually looking for some clothes, especially a new hunting vest.

This week I did a lot of research online and checked out some websites classified adds and trusted shopping sites. But there are so many different types, brands and models for sale, I simply don't know which one to pick. It is just overwhelming.

So are there any peculiar brands or models you can recommend? What aspects are important if I want to buy a hunting vest? I was also thinking about buying a cheap used one. Is that advisable? Are there some common pitfalls I have to avoid then?

Sorry for all these questions, but as I said before, I'm pretty new to this. So thanks for you help and support.

Mike.

Do you mean a vest, as in an orange one to meet requirements or one for hunting/packing small and upland game? Big difference in my suggestions depending on the desired use.

I'm looking for a proper hunting/packing vest. Not an orange one.

I can't help you for big game as I don't use a vest for that. If for upland/small game I prefer the strap style vests. Here's the one I have:

11016017darktan-main_1.jpg

I like the strap style as they work better in warmer weather and are easy enough to layer under for colder weather. The downside to this vest IMO is I could use a few more specialty pockets and it's built well enough I'll have a hard time wearing it out to justify a replacement. :D If you just need a couple of simple pockets, the on I have will last a lifetime. They have a more "sophisticated" one and a bit higher price.

My pard has an older version of the one offered by Bucks Bags. He hauls, literally, hundreds of birds a year with that. Do a search for posts by JLS. IIRC he had one outlining an upland vest, whose name escapes me currently, that he really liked.

Wing Works :)

What exactly are you wanting this vest to do?

Note made! Thanks! I realize I won't wear out the Filson, but as my kids get old enough to hunt birds with me, they'll need one so I can use that excuse to get me a new one! :D

Hello Everyone.

I need to start with how happy I am to be a part of this forum and that I am looking forward to speaking with you all and hopefully finding answers to my problems.

As I already mentioned in my introductory post, I'm quite new to hunting and currently I'm trying to get my equipment together. Right now I'm actually looking for some clothes, especially a new hunting vest.

This week I did a lot of research online and checked out some websites classified adds and trusted shopping sites like https://www.easyprices.com/fashion/hunting-vest. But there are so many different types, brands and models for sale, I simply don't know which one to pick. It is just overwhelming.

So are there any peculiar brands or models you can recommend? What aspects are important if I want to buy a hunting vest? I was also thinking about buying a cheap used one. Is that advisable? Are there some common pitfalls I have to avoid then?

Sorry for all these questions, but as I said before, I'm pretty new to this. So thanks for you help and support.

Mike.

After some more research and comparison, I finally decided on the Filson. Thank you su much for this recommendation. I guess I won't regret it.

Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back