MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Do family friendly off road vehicles exist?

FutureMountains

I just moved to NM with my wife and 2 young boys. We love our little Kia hatchback but I don't think it's going to cut it once I start tooling around the mountains this summer. The problem is that we are a 1 car family and have no desire to add a second car payment. Anyone else have a vehicle that serves both purposes? Toddler toy pit on wheels / 4wd adventure mobile. To be more specific I'm not planning on heading to Moab to see how stuck I can get. Just want something that won't get stuck on a muddy/snowy back-road.

Plenty of options, but then you're going to drop in mpg. 4Runner, sequoia, Tahoe, Yukon, any crewcab truck.

I lived in Nevada for 12 years and explored all over the desert. No way I'd do it in a station wagon. mtmuley

I'd probably get a 4runner. A 4 door wrangler or crew cab midsize truck will do well also.

A rig that is off most people's radar is the Chevy Astro Van or GMC Safari Van in AWD. Your looking at a 2005 or 2006 at the newest in the Astro. They are pretty capable for what they are and there is actually a forum for people that use them off road. It can give you an idea of their capabilities if your interested in going that route. If you want something newer, the full-size Chevy Express or GMC Savanna is another option. I think a used AWD conversion van with some slight modification would be a pretty neat rig for a family that wants to get out in the woods.

I've been wanting to do a camper van but haven't come across the right right yet.

Last edited:
Both my wife and I had XTerrras years ago and they were pretty capable. Gas mileage was not the best, I think I averaged around 16mpg. The wife has a Toyota FJ cruiser that I'd take anywhere and gets closer to 20mpg.

We love our older VW Touareg. The thing is a beast, and pretty damn comfortable to boot. But not exactly something you want to toss a dead critter into.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back