Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Infected tooth and not able to workout

Mariam

Hi all, I have an abscessed tooth and it's hurting so badly. I am not able to work out with this infected tooth. I fear that it might make the thing worse. I am taking antibiotics to clear up the pain but the pain still remains the same. I wonder if the tooth is really dead, or if it can be saved? I feel like I'm losing so much of my strength and my body feels like total crap from taking all sorts of antibiotics. I am considering to take the root canal therapy from a clinic in Mississauga. It seems like the infection will not go away unless I take the treatment. Are there any other options available for me? Please share.

Don't wait ! Extract it if you have to. Better to lose a tooth rather than your life. Seriously, you can die from an infected tooth. Your tooth is not far from your brain and infections will spread.

I just had an abscessed tooth pulled about a month ago it cost about a 1/10 of a root canal. If it's not in the front of your mouth I would consider this because after a root canal the tooth can have more problems and can become infected again and becomes a huge money pit.

Root canals done correctly have a 95% success rate at five years. Failures occur when canals are not discovered or cleaned/filled, or later because of fracture (vertical fracture of the root, or of the part of the tooth above the gums) often times because a crown is not completed in a timely fashion.

Root canal, foundation and crown depending on where you live should be around low-mid $2k. Extraction and placing a bridge (crowns on teeth in either side of the newly empty space) will be mid-upper $3k. Removing the infected tooth and having an implant (titanium) placed, with a foundation and crown will start upwards of mid $4k.

Implants never decay again, as they are titanium, gold, zirconia and/or gold, but can be subject to a type of bone loss similar to gum disease. Your "permanent" crown or bridge is not ever truly permanent. It is subject to tooth decay once again getting into the tooth at the crown/tooth junction, and of course is still subject to periodontal (gum disease) issues as before.

Removing your tooth solves one problem (active infection, once healed) but creates a new problem: How are you going to eat your nachos?? Some teeth are more strategic than others. Losing a wisdom tooth when you have two good molars and two good premolars means very little in loss of function. Lose a first molar when you are already missing a second molar, and you are seriously short of chewing power.

One last thought: simply taking antibiotics for a true pupal (nerve) dead tooth is only a stopgap measure. Definitive treatment (root canal or extraction) must be done soon to prevent an even bigger problem.....up to and including hopitilization/death from a bad infection gone amok.

Last edited:
Have to agree with "kansasdad". From his reply, he is a professional in the Dental field. Take his advice NOW. WapitiBob, the correct term is a forceps. GJ

I had a friend who let his infected tooth go without doing anything. He ended up in the ICU and barely lived to tell.

Root canals done correctly have a 95% success rate at five years. Failures occur when canals are not discovered or cleaned/filled, or later because of fracture (vertical fracture of the root, or of the part of the tooth above the gums) often times because a crown is not completed in a timely fashion.

Root canal, foundation and crown depending on where you live should be around low-mid $2k. Extraction and placing a bridge (crowns on teeth in either side of the newly empty space) will be mid-upper $3k. Removing the infected tooth and having an implant (titanium) placed, with a foundation and crown will start upwards of mid $4k.

Implants never decay again, as they are titanium, gold, zirconia and/or gold, but can be subject to a type of bone loss similar to gum disease. Your "permanent" crown or bridge is not ever truly permanent. It is subject to tooth decay once again getting into the tooth at the crown/tooth junction, and of course is still subject to periodontal (gum disease) issues as before.

Removing your tooth solves one problem (active infection, once healed) but creates a new problem: How are you going to eat your nachos?? Some teeth are more strategic than others. Losing a wisdom tooth when you have two good molars and two good premolars means very little in loss of function. Lose a first molar when you are already missing a second molar, and you are seriously short of chewing power.

One last thought: simply taking antibiotics for a true pupal (nerve) dead tooth is only a stopgap measure. Definitive treatment (root canal or extraction) must be done soon to prevent an even bigger problem.....up to and including hopitilization/death from a bad infection gone amok.

Listen to this man.

1. 2 posts
  2. Posted in Sportsmen Issues
  3. Links a Dentistry business

You guys are far more trusting than I am.

I doubt many people on this BB would go to Ontario for a root canal. From what I have heard many Canadians come to the States for healthcare. GJ

Well h... we could take care of a bad tooth like we did with horses back in the day. Put a twitch on you, put you on the ground and take the problem tooth out.

^im liking that idea. Or do like tom hanks and just grab an ice skate and a rock....... Wilsonnnnnnn!!!

Back