Caribou Gear

300 WSM loads with 178 gr ELD-X for Elk?

dcreiss

I am thinking about loading the 178 ELD-X for my 300 WSM, I am curious if folks have had much experience with the eld-x bullet out of mag velocity rifles and how it performs on game animals?

Double check what your barrel twist is. I bought the 178 elf-x and then noticed on the box it said 1:12" twist rate. My 300wsm is a 1:10" twist and the guy at the store said they wouldn't perform optimally. I ended up going with the 200 grains, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

The 178's will shoot in your 10 twist. Guy at the store was wrong. mtmuley

Double check what your barrel twist is. I bought the 178 elf-x and then noticed on the box it said 1:12" twist rate. My 300wsm is a 1:10" twist and the guy at the store said they wouldn't perform optimally. I ended up going with the 200 grains, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

I would try the 178's. I bet they will shoot fine. Unless you know the guy at the store I wouldn't trust what he says to be accurate. I would venture to say he has no first hand experience with your load.

1 in 12" is probably the minimum twist rate recommended. The 178s ought to shoot great with the right load combo out of your rifle. Jury still seems to be out on the eldx regarding performance on game.

How dare you! Old 4 teeth Phil at Wally World is an expert on barrel twist, Alabama football, and the 101 best uses for duct tape.

Sometimes I go hang out at the gun counter of our local sporting goods store just to listen to the store guys. mtmuley

not that i am an expert by any means, however, as per Bergers customer service, the twist rates they specify for their bullets is the minimum requirements to effectively stabilize the bullet in flight. a faster twist will stabilize just as well as the minimum requirements. according to them that is standard throughout the industry. so i would try the ELDs if you got them.

Killed an elk last year with a 200gr eldx from a 300 win mag, she went down fast and didn't get back up, 362 yards. I have killed alot of stuff (including 4 elk) with the old 208 amax from my 300wsm's, the 178 eldx bullets are probably better suited.

I wouldn't think twice about using them if they shoot for you.

1:10 will stabilize just about anything that will mag feed from a WSM. I have shot 198gr Flatlines from a 1:10 twist 300wsm, it's probably the longest 30 caliber on the market currently.

Last edited:
Killed 2 elk last year with 212gr eld x from my 300 win mag, 1 cow at 531yds 1 shot kill through both shoulders bullet was under hide on off side perfect mushroom. Drt. The other was a 4x5 bull at 503 yds. Same deal, through both shoulders, bullet was under hide on off side. They performed flawlessly. I'll be shooting them again this year

Thanks for the input, I loaded them up a little below max and they are tight at 300. It looks like a 1 in 10" twist barrel spins them just fine.

That bullet should work for you. If for some reason you can't get them to shoot I would try a 180 gr. Nosler Accubond. Those things sure work well on game.

I killed an antelope, a mtn goat, and a bull elk last year with 143gr eld-x out of a 6.5x284. All 3 were between 400 & 500 yards. I was definitely happy with how they performed!

The eld-x is designed for long range use. If most of your shots are under 400 yards I would recommend a bullet that holds together better (bonded lead or non-lead). If you are shooting over 400 yards, then the eld-x MAY hold together and reach the vitals. My advice would be to use a bonded or non-lead bullet which will penetrate the vitals whether shooting close or long range. The Eld-x may fragment too much at close range which will result in poor penetration and a wounded elk. I prefer versatility in my hunting equipment.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back