.308 round for Whitetail

I've used 308's for about 50 yrs now. I've tried a number of different bullet's but the overwhelming winner is the 165gr Hornady Spire Point/Interlock. Mine handled 180gr bullet's very well but a 30-06 handles them a bit better! Lot of people have had good luck with everything fron 130grs on up. My choice is 165 gr though. Presently I am working on my present 308 with 150gr and 180gr cast bullet's.

I wouldn't shoot heavier than 168. My son shot a bunch of whitetails with a 150 grain Ballistic Tip. It shot the best in his rifle and wore the deer out.

Nothing new here but I've used both 185-grain Nosler Partitions and Barnes for both deer and elk in my 308 and like 'em. Barnes TTSX 165 shoots a bit better in my short-barreled Kimber.

165gr. Accubond will be great load in .308 for everything in America.
I'm using the 150s on deer and they have never gone more than a few steps, if they moved at all.
In my opinion, 180 is still good load. But it will make knowing the target distance more critical because of projectory from the slower round. Hard to cram enough powder in a .308 to move bullets very fast past 200yrds., if you go 180 or heavier.

I've been hard pressed to find a deer killing bullet to compete with the SST from Hornady. It just flat puts them down. The 165s should work plenty good in a 308

This is the only 30 cal slug i reload. I use it with my kids .308 and my 30- 06. Ive killed deer and elk with these slugs and they preform flawlessly. VERY ACCURATE!!!!!!!!

Hello friends, I'm looking for a good .308 round for Whitetail.
I got a great deal on a Remington 700 aac-sd last year. It has a heavy 20 inch barrel with a 1:10 twist rate.
I used 150 grain Hornady American Whitetails last year, and they got the job done.
But, now I want to load my own rounds and I'm told that a heavier bullet is better for the 1:10 twist.
Do y'all have any suggestions?
I was thinking 180 grain, but several people have recommended 165-168 grain.
All input welcome.
Thanks!

You used a 150gr Hornady American Whitetail last year and they got the job done. What are you looking to improve on?

For years here in Indiana I have used 125 gr Nosler ballistic tips out of my .308. I have taken way more deer than I can count and only had one that I shot a second time and had I been patient I would have found it DRT. That being said as of last year I switched to a 150 gr Nosler Accubond.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back