PEAX Equipment

Archery Setup

traditionalhunter88

Wanted to get some contrasted views and opinions on what I know is true based on my experience.

For those that are limited financially and cannot afford firearms; what bow would you get and why?

For me; its strictly only between 2 or 3 depending on hunting environments; hunting style and regulations.
Traditional Recurve aka The Short Bow or Horse Bow; The Longbow or Crossbow.

In my experience, cost is the starting decision. A suitable hunting crossbow; will cost atleast 60-200 dollars and for that pricerange; you will get an all around Crossbow for most types of hunting; being that my crossbow was only 65 and has 120 pounds of draw weight and 185 fps. Pistol crossbows generally lack the power and velocity for Big Game; being they are both less than 60 dollars and no more than 80 pounds and 100 pounds is the minimum for hunting with crossbows.

Second topic I wanted to debate is what grain broadheads would you use and why?
I generally use 100 grain fixed broadheads for turkey and currently use my heavies; 150 grain broadheads for the penetration of Bear, Deer, Cougar, Wild Boar and Elk.

In my experience; if one was to do Dangerous Game Hunting in states where there is Moose and Bison or countries where there is Lion; then 175 to 200 grain broadheads are likely best.

Cannot afford firearms?? You can buy a used rifle for less than the cost of a dozen modern arrows. Armslist.com or your local pawn shop will have lots of options.

Always keep in mind that when you mention crossbows, you have to consider that they are not universally legal for hunting (at least not during archery season). For instance, I don't think they are legal for big game during archery season in CO.

I have used 100 and 125 for elk with no problems penetrating. I put one clean through the near scapula (split it into 3 big pieces) and stuck into the off scapula on a small cow at 50 yds (65 lb draw bow).

Unless I physically can not pull and hold minimum weight you will never see me shoot a crossbow. The traction they've gained is not something I enjoy seeing. They're on par with a muzzleloader. I have no problem with crossbows or muzzeloaders. I am a strictly archery guy. But I have a hard time with physically able guys using crossbows with scopes during the archery season. And I shoot a compound. To make the comparison to guys that shoot instinctive and traditional to crossbows probably makes their blood boil.

You can find relatively cheap but good used equipment a lot of places. The bow I currently have is a 2010 model I bought from a friend a year old for 200 bucks. I personally wouldn't make an investment without having shot it first. I've formed bonds with every one of my bows and my 2007 browning illusion (and case and arrows and everything else inside) that was stolen out of my truck really hurt, and not just because of the monetary value. Lots of time and sentimental value was lost and it would have been nice to hang on the wall next to my first moose it shot. So I don't take those investments lightly

As far as what grain head...that really depends on what your shooting it with and less to do with what your shooting at. Had a cow elk that was quartering away hard. Arrow went from just in front of left rear hind quarter almost all the way through the right front quarter. My set up is about 470 grains.

It depends what you want to get out of it. Cost shouldn't be a factor for a firearm if that what you want to do, like someone said you can pick up a used one for around $250 or even a low end new one for that price. If you want to use a cross bow I would check the regulations on whether or not they're legal for archery season. As far as a long bow they can be a lot more expensive than you think especially with some of the custom ones, and if you want to use one to hunt with you're going to need a lot of practice. Compounds aren't too expensive especially for one a few years old. As far a point weight goes remember that the heavier the point the stiffer the arrow needs to be so it can handle it safely and efficiently.

Bows can easily be more expensive than firearms - so I don't think that's a valid argument.

Many states don't allow crossbows at all, or have limitations on their use, so that needs to be considered. If you're disabled or unable to use a bow, in some cases you can get a special permit to use them.

Archery seasons are often much longer than firearm seasons depending on the state, and you can often hunt with archery tackle during firearms seasons if you want to challenge yourself that way.

Personally - I think pretty much anyone could afford one rifle, one bow, and one shotgun that will cover them for pretty much everything if they budget correctly and buy used. You just need to shop smart and not get carried away. I do think the bow is the most critical to get the "fit" right and get a little instruction on how to start.

Not sure that affordability is the best reason to get into archery. With the design of most new broadheads, I don't feel there is a huge difference between 100 & 125 heads. I have 2 setups, a 65# bow with a 380 arrow for deer size game and a 70# bow with a 490 arrow for Elk size game. Both arrows carry the 100 grain ViperTrick. I took 6 animals in Africa a couple years ago with the 380 arrow out of the 70# bow with a 3 blade Muzzy and has complete pash through on every one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back