What's the best pocket flashlight going these days?

windymtnman

I'm in the market for replacing my old rechargeable Stinger flashlight. I'm looking for a compact flashlight, (say 6-8" long?), that is super bright, and holds up well. Maybe something with lithium batteries?
I see a lot of ads for these lights, all claiming to be superior to the competition, but wanting to separate the boasting ads from the reality of performance. I'd like a light that can cast a strong beam out to at least 50 yards. There's all kinds of prices for these too, so something that's relatively economical, but is a good one.
Any recommendations? Please describe and give an approx. price. Thanks.

You might look at some of the led flashlights made for night hunting. I have a orion predator H30 (red but they make white)led and it shines out to 175 yds. The leds are really bright.

Fenix is the way to go for quality flashlights that compete with SureFire and other higher priced brands at a fraction of the cost. I have an older version of the PD-35 that is still going strong after 5+ years of use. http://amzn.to/2pPxUgq

I prefer a headlamp. If what you are replacing is more than a couple of years old then should be able to get a brighter light without having to shop for only the latest, greatest. As for batteries, I like to have as many items use the same batteries so am not carrying 3 or 4 types of batteries and I can switch batteries out between devices. As for brightness, I like a headlamp that shine out about 20 feet. Eyes adjust to the level of darkness and am more concerned about seeing trip hazards on the trail when hiking in and out in the dark or when cutting up a critter after dark.

My next one will be something from Zebralight. They have models that can be used as a pocket light or a headlamp and run on either AA or AAA.

I once found out the hard way to make sure whatever flashlight I have in my pocket or pack can not be turned on by accident.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back