Caribou Gear

YouTube - Alaska Bear; My Most Embarrassing TV Moment

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I told bit and parts of this story and why I passed what was probably a B&C bear the first twenty minutes of the hunt. Why? Because if we are to tell a story about hunting it has to actually be a hunt with some story to it. Shooting the first bear in the first place we looked hardly constitutes a "hunting story." The camera guys disagree.

So, I passed thinking we would find that bear again within a few days. Never did I think I would find an even bigger bear further away from camp, but I did.

And never in my life did I think I would rush a shot when a bear starts to get spooky and completely whiff at 200 yards. Yup right under his chest. Airball. Fumble. Choke.

When I see a basketball player miss a layup at a critical time, Blair Walsh shank a 27-yard field goal for the Vikings playoff win, or a golfer ring the cup on a ten-inch putt that would win the round, I now know what they feel like. And here it is for the world to see. I suspect most other shows might put this one in the "round file" for the sake of personal reputations, but I deserve whatever ridicule comes my way.

I wish I could blame equipment. I can't. After the fiasco, the camera crew asked me to shoot at a big old rock with a small barnacle on it, just to confirm the equipment hadn't been at fault. Ranged the rock at 198 and blew the 2" barancle off the rock.

I suspect Howa, Leupold, and Nosler will see this terrible gaff on my part and wonder why the hell they sponsor a guy who can't hit a Volkswagen-sized bear at a mere two football fields. Needless to say, I have been practicing since then and in later episodes I have redeemed myself with some of my best shots ever, though nothing as stellar as this was embarrassing.

This is a YouTube only clip. It won't be on TV. If this doesn't get you excited to hunt Alaska black bears, I suspect you will never get the itch to hunt black bears.

The good news is that I finally found someone willing to go with me on an all-expense paid trip next spring and we have the same tag where this was filmed. I hope the bear I passed is still alive. He will be a lunker, for sure. The one I missed will probably have died of old age by then.

Enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;gpM0bkgpV2s]https://youtu.be/gpM0bkgpV2s[/video]

Cool! Always wanted to do something like that but just can't seem to pull it together.

That was a fantastic episode. Too often in tv and the media there are hunting stories where everything works out perfectly, but that just is not realistic. I know I have messed up plenty of opportunities. If everything worked out perfectly every time I go out hunting, I don't think it would be nearly as fun

I believe people watching this will see reality as it happened. And they know REAL highs and lows as Fresh Tracks and OYOA before that showed it.

It is sort of like the sign off of Walter Cronkite when he would end the news broadcast with "and that's the way it is". Nothing staged, nothing omitted, no "hunting with my good friend" (guide who has met you 15 minutes ago, and is giving you a big discount to advertise his guide service), but just a show about a hunting adventure and how it really went down.

Well done Big Fin, and Marcus and Tyler. Happy to internet-know you gentlemen.

I like that you show the misses as well as the hits because whether they admit it or not everybody misses sometimes. It makes your show real.

As much as it sucks to miss, I'll take a clean miss over a poor hit any day.

Missing, just a part of hunting. Sure we all wish a double lung or heart shot every time and we practice enough to feel confident to do so. Yet, missing can be great if used the right way. To use that energy from disappointment to practice harder and set higher goals for yourself. I taught myself how to bowhunt and had a handful of bad shots that just plain hurt my heart. I did not have any mentors to talk me through it. It took time but I realized its just a part of it and I had to dedicate myself to be proficient.

Awesome you showed that video of you plain ole missing. Just reality but you can't blame your optics!

Another great Alaska bear hunting episode. I've said this before but every time I watch one of these hunts it makes me want to go do it even more. I never thought I would want to do a bear hunt until I started watching your Alaskan bear hunts, and now I cant wait to go. if I'm lucky enough to shoot a bear or even miss a bear, it will just be icing on the cake

Back