410-20 elk couple needs info help

LMD423

HI we are new to the site thanks for letting us join. My wife and I drew 410 - 20 tags . We have two kids, live and born here in montana both work full time jobs and our family loves the outdoors. We are searching for info on the area been studying maps and calling people to gather information. We hike on average 8 miles on a day hunt and not scared to quarter and pack elk. Still old school and never tried to bone them out. Our jobs are not going to allow us to scout so was hoping to find info on the area. As of right now we took our maps and are thinking of North portion and winnett east to hunt. Still huge area would like to get help on narrowing that down or if overlooking something. We have a good solid 2 weeks to hunt if there is preferable time of rifle season. Thanks and enjoy the outdoors!

Our jobs are not going to allow us to scout so was hoping to find info on the area.

We have a good solid 2 weeks to hunt if there is preferable time of rifle season.

So you don't have any time to scout but you can hunt for 2 weeks? I've been in your predicament before, maybe you have a seasonal job or something. I'd recommend finding a way to get out there and scout on at least a couple weekends.

You have a really good tag and I am sure someone might help you, but this is the time of year where numerous people join the site for the exact reason that you did and post almost the exact message that you did. They get some information, and then are never heard from again. It has sorta soured people on helping.

I called the Montana Game and Fish Department and they advised all 410-20 tag holders to sign their tags over to me.

So you don't have any time to scout but you can hunt for 2 weeks? I've been in your predicament before, maybe you have a seasonal job or something. I'd recommend finding a way to get out there and scout on at least a couple weekends.

You have a really good tag and I am sure someone might help you, but this is the time of year where numerous people join the site for the exact reason that you did and post almost the exact message that you did. They get some information, and then are never heard from again. It has sorta soured people on helping.
Thanks we know they are good tags been aplying in that area alot of years. We are 9 hours away so to do weekend scouts is just more challenging as we have 2 small boys. To do this hunt I am donating plasma, wife can't till July due to a incident we had fishing last year and had to have a blood transfusion but is looking for a part time job to help cover costs. We both work full time not a sob story and if no one offers info or is soured by people joining this site it's no skin off our backs we will just scour maps and make the best of it and enjoy the experience . Thanks

Thanks we know they are good tags been aplying in that area alot of years. We are 9 hours away so to do weekend scouts is just more challenging as we have 2 small boys. To do this hunt I am donating plasma, wife can't till July due to a incident we had fishing last year and had to have a blood transfusion but is looking for a part time job to help cover costs. We both work full time not a sob story and if no one offers info or is soured by people joining this site it's no skin off our backs we will just scour maps and make the best of it and enjoy the experience . Thanks

Best of luck to you . Hunt when you can , put on boot miles and you will be successful . Don't worry about the nay sayers just do what you can when you can and you guys will have a great time ! Good luck !

Thanks we will definitely pound the ground and we will put in as much time as our jobs will allow and most importantly have fun doing it .

I had the tag a couple yrs ago. I highly recommend you use at least 3-4 days just prior to rifle season opening for scouting. Find a shooter and watch him and try real hard to kill him opening morning. Then hunt for 3-4days. If ur not tagged out go home for a couple weeks then come back. Theres a ton of pressure the 1st week and then it tapers off. When the bulls feel safe they start popping out again. I saw bulls every day I hunted, but I saw bigger groups of bulls the last 2 weeks than the other 3 weeks combined

Thanks maybe we can try and do somethings like thatand break up our vacation into early and a couple days before season then go back last week of season.

phutch has given you good advise. It is almost inconceivable to not get shots at good bulls here once the initial rush is over and there is a bit of snow cover. Are you looking for good bulls, or whopping big ass bulls? Being picky, of course makes things tougher. What do you intend to do with small kids while you hunt, or are they big enough to come along for the day? Lots of variables, as with all hunts. Bring chains for all four tires. You should have a fantastic hunt.

We are thinking grandma watch them for a week then take them for a week .We are looking for decent Bulls . We will pack pack chains and Jack's and gear . Never had to hang iron in mud always snow so gonna throw a tarp in to lay on and tread very lightly with the rain over there . thanks

I think Randy once said something to the effect that if he would spend more days scouting than hunting than the other way around. Even scouting trips to just figure out roads can be beneficial.

280-310 bulls are a dime a dozen over there. You'll likely have to pass on a handful of those before you get a shot at something bigger.

I drew this last year and joined the same way as you did and got the same unwelcoming response but helped out and talked to a lot of guys thru PMs.

My take on it yes 280 310 bulls ARE A dime a dozen. I set my expectations way too high, this isn't the unit it used to be for big bulls. You aren't going to find 360 bulls unless you are willing to pay. There is a lot of public ground and BMAs but after the pressure of a ton of bow hunters big guys go to private where they are safe.

I killed a low 340 bull and he was the best bull I could have shot on ground that was accessible.

Drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help you out with where we did see bulls a lot.

Thanks for the info on size of bulls that are fairly common gets us a good idea that if we see something bigger than that better try and harvest him

LMD423, I hope you and your wife go get great bulls. At least you came out in the open forum and explained yourself to look for info. Some don't. mtmuley

Hey mtmmuley thanks . I won't forget the compliment and if I ever meet you u deserve a good handshake thanks

Like some have said I wouldn't go opening weekend unless you can locate a bull and kill him opening morning. There are so many people running around the first two weekends that the odds of finding a bull you located days before is pretty slim. It's a mad house up there opening week

310 bulls and 170 mule deer bucks, all a dime a dozen. Montana LE units are the land of opportunity.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back