Day Hunt: How much hiking is to much hiking?

That number would be more plausible if it were kilometers, but still high. Not that you couldn't do it, but you shouldn't do that while hunting as others have said.
Download your GPS track to your computer and plot it in Google earth. Measure it using the tool in GE.

First year I hunted Elk I was hiking my butt off because I wasn't set up to backpack hunt. Consider getting a few backpacking essentials (for me it was a stove) and pack in to near your spot. You'll save a helluva lot of miles on your body, need to consume less calories, and have extra time to sleep. I went from doing 6-10 miles/day to closer to 3 or 4, and spending more time in the areas I most wanted to hunt. Try different stuff and figure out what works for you. I think most of us are still tweaking our strategies every time we go out.

Across half a dozen trips out west over the last few years my average day comes out to be 10 miles per day hiking.

The high miles have always come on enthusiastic first trips for a species and was 16 miles on flat antelope country and 13 miles/day above 10K in Colorado. Both hunts I would consider that I didn't use my effort and time efficiently and the second trip into those areas has always involved a different approach in that I figured out a better place to park than the obvious trail head and maybe went so far as to approach from a different side of the mountain, by canoe even parked in a different GMU and hiked into the one I was actually hunting after locating the game.

I do not think there is a way around brute force of effort when I start hunting a new species or unit and the second trip is always a lot more strategic. Being a new hunter this is going to apply to everything

I used to hike that much, but I am so much more successful now. IMO, hiking when your quarry is also moving is counterproductive - unless you're making a move to get in position on a known target.
I don't really consider 20 miles too much hiking in a day (though I don't do it much any more), but there are three times a day when I consider ANY hiking too much - the first hour, midday stretch, and the last hour.
The dawn period is usually the first hour of daylight during Idaho archery season. If you're hiking during this time, they'll push to cover more quickly.
A nice comfortable morning bed often gets hot and sunny by late morning. I've found some nice bucks that I completely missed earlier in the day when they got up and moved 100 yards to a different bed. This timing is usually 10:30-11:30am.
Just as muleys disappear into cover in the morning, they reappear in the evening. If you're hiking during this time, they're just going to hold tight until you're gone.

For me, backpacking is the best solution for being in position for backcountry bucks without hiking during two of the three best times to be hunting.

So I've always been curious, and finally remembered about it while cooking dinner.

Q: How many miles is to many miles covered in a day hunt?

According to my Montana 600, I would do anywhere between 20-27 miles a day trying to find something. This is in a span of 10-12 hours. Could my GPS be off, or do you guys average this kind of miles while hunting with your bow?

Is this to much walking, and not enough glassing? Still very new to hunting, and want to continue learning as much as I can.

Thanks.

The only substantial hiking I do is Dall Sheep hunting.

I sit and glass for all day for caribou, moving very little, maybe 100- yards glassing one side of the ridge to the other side.

For moose, I sit for 3-days, not moving from pre-dawn to dark and my shots are usually very close (< 30 yards)
http://www.alaskaremote.com/my-3-day-strategy-for-moose-hunting-success

Wow, I'm in shock. Last year I hiked in 4.5 miles to my destination and was on elk. I knew they were there. I had a plan. Hiking more than 5mi one way seems like you may not have that much of a strategy. I may be harsh. But, hiking more than 10 miles in a day round trip over various elevation changes is getting crazy.

My longest day has been about 10 miles. More like 7 would be a normal day. Biggest thing I've had to learn since I started hunting 5 years ago is to slow down.

Biggest thing I've had to learn since I started hunting 5 years ago is to slow down.
Agreed, my early hiking days as a Boy Scout ingrained in me the attitude of moving down the trail as fast as comfortable in order to reach a destination in the shortest possible time. But that is not compatible with effective hunting in that much is missed as you hike right past it.

Seems like a hell of a lot to me in that sort of terrain, but someone with more experience will be along. I sure as hell wouldn't want to pack an animal out for 20-30 miles.
Well, if MJE2083's assumption is correct in that it is assumed you are walking a straight line such that it would require a pack of 20-30 miles back, you are doing something wrong. On another note, sometimes, depending upon conditions and game location, you have to cover more miles than other times. However, based on the miles you are talking, it definitely sounds like you are moving way too fast all day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back