Colorado Unit 96 Turkey Hunting!

Ryan2388

Hi Guys,

So I was lucky enough to get a unit 96 turkey license second season for river bottom Rio's. I plan on hunting the SWA's in the unit. I have gotten some good information from others that have hunted it. I was wondering if anybody hunted the first season with any luck or SWA's they have hunted in the past with good luck?

The first two weeks I chased mountain Merriam's, and got into a lot of hens. The Tom's and Jake's were hard to find and even harder to call in. The last weekend I took time off to take youth hunters for CPW's Outreach hunts. We had fun and got into turkey's but just not the right setup for novice youths to take a shot. My hunter loved it still as she found two nice elk sheds, and that has never happened to me on a hunt.

I hope over the next two weeks I can get lucky and finally get my first Rio. I will keep you posted as the hunt goes on. Thank you and good luck to all who still haven't harvested a turkey yet.

Ryan, sent you a PM.

I also drew a first season tag out here for this spring, I have some general questions. I drove out last weekend and found birds and walked the SWAs in the area. Lots of land and quite a few birds. When do they break up from the large winter flocks? Will these birds fly across the river? (I know they can, but do they with any regularity?). Will Rios hold to roosting areas like Easterns or do they act more like Merriam s in that regard? Can you cross the river there with chest waders, how’s the bottom? It didn’t look very deep, but I didn’t try either. I plan on going during the week, anyone have any experience on the hunter numbers?

Any one know if the pond in Brush SWA is worth it for Bass? This Florida transplant is aching for some good bass fishing.

Lots of questions I know! Thanks in advance for any answers!

To all your Turkey questions the answer is yes. Crossing the river should be easy this year with the lack of snow...the flow all depends on the runoff. We will be up there. Well at least when my son is over

Thanks for the river info, I’ll make sure to bring a pair of waders. If ya see a silver Jeep out there stop and say Hi!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back