Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Hiking Boots

idnative1948

Need some recommend for trail boots for the wife. Leaving Labor Day to Jasper/Banff Canada/Glacier Park for three weeks (only trail walking) and will be day hiking almost every day. Her boots are trashed, but good enough to use for hiking at our cabin in OR. Wil mostly be day hikes for the three weeks as in 3-6 milers. The ones she is now is Merrell light weights (not water proof). She/we have been looking at Keen/NB and others. Problem is one foot requires half size larger than other. She has narrow heel and Keen seems to fit the bill. Anybody know anything about Asolo or Salomon?

I have had a couple pair of Asolo boots and they have been great. My foot is narrow as well and they fit my foot fine. I would head over to Sierra Trading post in Meridian and see what they have available. Good luck in your search and have a great trip. Labor Day will be here before you know it.

I wear the Salomon GTX for work. Great hiking type boot. Durable and comfortable with no break in. mtmuley

I had one pair of the Keen work boots. They seemed heavy for their design and were trashed in about 2 months. Won't own another pair. Just my 2cents. I have had Salomon GTX trail tuning shoes and have had no complaints with them.

You guys that have had the Saloman GTX boots, you have any issues with the heels coming apart? They are on sale on amazon for $136 and I am due for a new pair. Heard bad things about the heels but good overall for the boot.

John - How do they fit? True to size?

I wear 13's and that's what I ordered. I have plenty of room for a thicker wool sock without my feet being squished, but they are not too big in a thinner sock. I think if anything they might be a wee bit narrow, but I don't have an issue with them.

You guys that have had the Saloman GTX boots, you have any issues with the heels coming apart? They are on sale on amazon for $136 and I am due for a new pair. Heard bad things about the heels but good overall for the boot.

Here are my Salomans. Somewhere north of 500-600 miles on them over the last four years. They have held up well, but the foam in the sole is breaking down, and some cracking in the instep from quite a bit of blood sitting on it too long. I wouldn't say the heels have really come apart at all other that some tabs popping out from behind the rubber on the inside of the heel, but it hasn't affected performance. Spring bear was probably their last hunt, gonna replace them with the same boot, and these will go into yard duty.
IMG_7089.jpg
IMG_7090.jpg
IMG_7091.jpg

Update.
We have two pair each of Merrell Moabs and Oboz Sawtooths, along with a pile of assorted socks littering the family room that she has been walking around the house in. The Oboz have a better foot bed, but she likes the arches in the Merrells. She said Salomon were too narrow in the toe box, but good in the heel. Keens had minimal to no arch, good heel. Whichever she goes with will require another pair of custom ortho insoles. Lord, wish me luck.

Got a pair for the Salomons on Amazon and did a 5 miler with no break in. Super comfortable, no hot spots and my foot stayed put with no sliding. Decent ankle support and they gripped onto everything. Was surprised how much traction they had. Will update after this season. Plan on putting a couple hundred miles on them between CA and ID seasons.

These Mammut T GTX are great boots for the money in my opinion. They make my feet happy, anyway.
https://www.backpacker.com/gear/gear-review-mammut-t-advanced-gtx-boot

They may be a bit much boot for the trails you mention, which are very well engineered and maintained, as a rule, IME. But they are Goretex-lined which helps in wet weather and shallow stream/puddle crossings. Of course, fit and break-in are key.

Back