Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hole in the wall good food....

Addicting

I just sitting here in my local hole in the wall enjoying my food addiction thinking about all those hole in the wall spaces I've eaten while traveling. I've heard that Sir Scotts Oasis in Manhattan west of Bozeman is the place to eat in MT, period. We are headed to Ennis, where else should a fat guy be looking to stop this coming fall?

Thanks Tony

Is "The Land of Magic" in Manhattan still in business? Its been awhile, but it was a good dinner spot. Another was "The Mint" in Belgrade. GJ

Yep, the Land of magic is still open. Overpriced, you can get better food and friendly staff at the Willow Creek Cafe

"The Mint" had one of the best collections of " All Malt" Scotches outside of Edinburgh. It almost made me cry, almost. GJ

Sir Scott's is over rated imo. Not bad, just never felt like it was what its reputation is. Land of magic is good. Rib & chop in Livingston is great. And it's a bit out of the way maybe, but for lunch two bit saloon in Whitehall has about the best chicken tenders with Cajun blue cheese.

I've never thought of Sir Scott's as a hole-in-the-wall. But it has been motivation on a couple of pack-outs where we tried to hit it before closing time.

The Cowboy Bar in Fishtail, MT is good after an extended trip into the Beartooths. The Grizzly in Roscoe, MT is pretty good too.

You do need to apply the "been in the backcountry for a few days" to my trip ratings on these.

Around where I live our population supports a lot of chain restaurants. Which al in all isn't bad if you like that kinda thing. I find myself in places where its like the old TV show Cheers, where everybody knows your name. There is more farmers eating breakfast together than there is seats. Last night we were at a place called blinkers. A tourist would drive right past it and not think twice. It was slow so the cook came out and brought two small bowls of ice cream with whip topping, chocolate, and strawberries out to my kids. Just because, never asked for it and it wasn't part of the bill. I think he just wanted to see some kids smile. Made a already good meal great.

Back in the mid '90's I was job hunting in Montana. Some place in Manhattan was voted "best steak". Went there to try out this great steak. Needless to say it was probably the worst steak that I have ever eaten [still remember it to this day]. I like my steak with some good marbling.... this steak was pure meat, no marbling and dry tasting. Well to each his own as someone liked that steak for it to be voted "best".

If you are ever in northeast Wyoming [Aladdin].... Cindy B's café.... the only place in town.

good luck to all
the dog

So I assume you don't like elk pointingdogsrule...

Zach's BBQ in Hotchkiss, CO is one of my favorites also Neptune's in Livingston, MT if only for their honey rye beer. Also if you are looking for a cup of coffee and a quick breakfast for the road Fix in Buffalo Wyoming can't be beat.

Last edited:
The Jersey Lilly in Ingomar, MT, is the best remote spot for a home-breaded chicken fried steak. Be sure and wash up at the little sink at the entry after a visit to the "steer" or "heifer" outhouse around back. If you wish to stay the night, you can throw your sleeping bag on a cot in one of the old classrooms in the defunct schoolhouse and pay a modest fee for a "bunk & biscuit" at the Jersey. In the heart of antelope country, sometimes it's difficult to leave the bar to hunt as the "local color" offers interesting and entertaining company, reflecting authentic Montana.

When I lived in Bozeman I used to meet a friend at the Korner Klub at 4 corners (Where Jackrabbit meets Huffine) and that was a good spot. Daily specials. Kountry Korner Kafe had a good breakfast (inexpensive also).

Best Burger is a local old fashioned (semi) fast food burger place. Also at 4 corners. Enjoyed a few quick meals there before heading out on the Madison. I guess I frequented a lot of the spots at 4 Corners.

Is the Post Office at The Jersey Lilly still operational? GJ
No, I think the "new" post office is down the road in Sumatra. Ingomar and Sumatra traded location of population center and postal office several times during the early twentieth century. Bit of trivia: Ingomar was once the sheep shearing capital of the world and the shearing station in Perth, Australia, duplicated the design of the Ingomar facility. Now the Ingomar area is cattle and antelope country, with the Jersey Lilly watering hole as the hub.

When I lived in Bozeman I used to meet a friend at the Korner Klub at 4 corners (Where Jackrabbit meets Huffine) and that was a good spot. Daily specials. Kountry Korner Kafe had a good breakfast (inexpensive also).

Best Burger is a local old fashioned (semi) fast food burger place. Also at 4 corners. Enjoyed a few quick meals there before heading out on the Madison. I guess I frequented a lot of the spots at 4 Corners.

That sounds like a good place to head close to where we will be in the Madison. Get one last good burger before a weeks worth of prefrozen meals and MREs or a nice laid back success breakfast.

Back