Caribou Gear

Remington 722 .257 Roberts

Jesnoc

Wondering if it's a worthy western deer rifle. I found one in very good shape and love the feel and size of it. Just wanted to see if you guys have any first hand experience with the rifle or the caliber or both!! Limitations? Awesomenesses?!!

Sure, why not?

The 722 was the predecessor to the short action model 700. Most parts are interchangeable, or can be made to work pretty easily.

Doubt there was many 257s made. Likely worth a bit more than a typical 722. Be a neat little rifle for sure.

Have one, and yes, I think it's a capable western deer rifle. Mine has been killing Pa. whitetails for 40 years in mine and my kids' hands and probably 25 years prior in my grampys' hands. The Partition in the Federal Premium 120 grain I would think would be a reasonable round out to 250 or so.

Grab it. 721's and 722's are great rifles. I'd rather have a rifle like that than some of the new offerings. I've had my 721 for 47 years. (From my grandfather when I was 4) Like I said, grab it. mtmuley

I have one in .257 also, bought it from an old buddy many years ago.

It's a great shooter and is a great caliber for whitetails, with the correct bullet choice it's potent medicine for most big game.

Hell yes! It's one of the best cartridges ever developed and now nearly forgotten.

I have a .257 Rob in a custom Mauser, its a awesome mid-range caliber. Factory ammo can be tricky to find at times, that's why I reload for mine. I use mine on everything from ground squirrels to Elk. 100 grain Speer BT are what shoot best for me, out to 400 yards it performs amazing.

Last edited:
I picked it up today!! Can't wait to shoot it and start working up some deer loads!! I hope it's a winner because the weight is ideal for long walks, climbs, crawls etc.!!!

You will love it. My dad has one he got from an uncle around 1970. I killed my first rifle deer with it in 1995. I love guns and cartridges with history and this one has both. I had been looking for a Roberts myself and bought a 700 classic a few months ago.

IMG_3333.jpg

Well here it is!!! It came with a fiberglass stock, I didn't want to replace it, you can tell time was spent installing/ fitting it. I just threw a homemade vias paint job on it.

Last edited:
That's a sharp looking rifle and you will really enjoy it! The 257 Roberts is a great little cartridge and with the 110 gr. Accubond or 120 gr. Partition, elk could also be on the menu!

Have one, and yes, I think it's a capable western deer rifle. Mine has been killing Pa. whitetails for 40 years in mine and my kids' hands and probably 25 years prior in my grampys' hands. The Partition in the Federal Premium 120 grain I would think would be a reasonable round out to 250 or so.

on the money

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back