Durfee Hills Runway

Highground

Hello fellow enthusiasts,
I did not draw any permits this year, but my brother in law did. He drew the 411 rifle tag and so now the preparation begins. I have been applying for this tag for some time now and have always thought that if I drew I would talk my Dad into flying into the Durfee Hills blm area. My question is this, has anyone flown in lately? I have heard "rumors" that something was done that makes it harder to land in there. Have no idea about the validity of this claim and so I ask the most likely crowd I can think of that may know the answer. My Dad says he feels comfortable with about 1500 ft of landing. I used google imagery to measure a straight line along the runway and came up with 1700 ft +/- about 100 ft? Does this sound right? Here are the images I am looking at, maybe someone can verify this would be the correct place to land. I heard you would approach from the south and "just pass" over the top of the Wilkes fence to make the runway...anyone know the specifics? Any further insight would be great! Thanks a bunch and good luck to all who drew tags. Gonna help my brother shoot a nice bull I hope!

Attachments

• Durfee runway satellite image.jpg
    Durfee runway satellite image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Durfee Hills Runway.pdf
    319.6 KB · Views: 44
We flew in there last year during archery season on a helicopter, so I can't speak on issues about landing on the runway. There was a plane in there at the time though. I would temper your expectations if you decide to hunt it. I spent a week in there last September and it was the most disappointing elk hunt I've ever been on. If your dad is a pilot though you will be able to leave if the hunting sucks instead of being stuck there like I was.

We flew in there last year during archery season on a helicopter, so I can't speak on issues about landing on the runway. There was a plane in there at the time though. I would temper your expectations if you decide to hunt it. I spent a week in there last September and it was the most disappointing elk hunt I've ever been on. If your dad is a pilot though you will be able to leave if the hunting sucks instead of being stuck there like I was.

Thanks for that advice. We always try to remain realistic about our expectations. Sorry to hear about your dissapointing Durfee hunt. Im assuming you held a bull tag? Archery or rifle? Where you able to turn your season around? I have been deer hunting this area for years...and have personally seen some absolutely beautiful bulls in that region.

I had prepared myself for a bad hunt but I had not prepared myself for a terrible hunt. We were there during archery season, maybe the elk are in there during rifle season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back