Planning a 2018 CO Archery Elk Hunt in GMU 78/81.

Slow&Steady

Hello,

My buddy and I are planing our first CO elk hunt, his first elk hunt ever. We plan to backpack in and set up a camp a few miles into the back country. We'll be hauling meat out by foot if we are successful. Our plan is to spend up to 10 or 11 days hunting (or until tags are punched if we are lucky) during the second half of archery season. I understand that these units see a lot of pressure, but records show that they see a pretty good success rate too.

I'm posting this thread in hope that some of you who have hunted these units might share some wisdom. I'm not asking for anyone to share their spot. Rather, I'd like to hear what kind of areas to look for, and kind to stay away from. Like everyone else, we'd rather not spend two weeks tripping over other hunters. One of the strategies we've considered is staying off the forest roads and trail heads, and instead look for areas that sit within a few miles of paved roads, but separated from the road by a few miles and a couple thousand feet of elevation. Our thought is that perhaps such an area might be overlooked by those trying to go ad deep in as possible, while also allowing us to hunt from the top of the mountain down, rather than trying to camp low and scramble to get above the elk. Does this approach make sense, or is it wishful thinking?

I'd really appreciate hearing from those who have hunted these units. If you would like to share info, but don't want it forever memorialized in this thread for the world to see, please PM me. Any advice is appreciated.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back