Cell phone booster?

nimrod1984

Me and a buddy are heading west this fall on what I hope is the first of many hunts and I am looking to add a cell booster to my rig.

What is a reliable unit to drop $250 or less on?

Thanks for any info.

Nimrod

What are realistic expectations for a booster? "If I normally drop 10 miles from a tower, will it extend to 15 miles?" that kind of thing.

Looking at the Wilson, it looks like the phone must be in the cradle to get the signal boost. How do you use internet on the phone with the boosted signal when it would need to be out of the cradle?

Mount the cradle to your dash, put the phone in the cradle, surf the net. Cradle serves as a phone mount. You shouldn't talk on the phone with it against your ear while it is in the cradle, unless you like microwaving your noggin. I use some bluetooth earbuds to talk with when the phone is in the cradle. My experience with the Wilson Sleek has been positive. If you have very marginal service, the sleek will allow you to punch through. If you have zero service, you are SOL.

Wilson also makes a booster that you put next to your phone. It also works good and is more easily moved to different vehicles if you desire

Wilson...it will help you get a call out when the signal is weak...it won't help when there is no signal there to begin with.

I learned last fall that all phones are not equal. I gave my son my Galaxy S4 and bought a S5 to get a water resistant phone. All was good until I went on a hunting trip. I could not make calls out, or texts out. My wife and kids phones all worked with 1-2 bars. Mine didn't even though it had the same bars. Bad phone or bad model? Don't know but I will have to get another phone before this fall because of safety reasons.

Very little cell phone service in the areas I hunt in Alaska...I send text messages via the InReach.
Uses satellites and works anywhere in the world, 24/7. Can also broadcast your
map location to your selected users...either to email or smart phones.
Cheaper than most cell phone plans.

Are there locations in the lower-48 where cell service is a problem?
If so I recommend looking at the InReach.

--Skeeter

Well not a big fan of the iPhone it does have a better antenna than the Samsung (personal experience) so I now have an iPhone 4 and am happy with the service (Verizon)as I go into fairly remote locations when I go on my hunt trips in AZ, WY and MT and am always pleasantly surprised when I get a signal in a remote area.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back