Wyoming Antelope Advice Needed

Brachii

Hello everyone! I'm a hunter from Texas moving to the Rocky Mountain area next month and experiencing for the first time the point and unit system that the states in this area all seem to have. I'm looking into unit 38 for Wyoming antelope because of its proximity to Denver where we will live and because I have no preference points and not many options for a for sure tag (I will probably purchase the special tag). I'll be taking my wife hunting for her first time and I'm looking into the unit's public space. I've looked at assesor's maps of roads and trying to make sure I get onto a legal piece of land (that's bigger than a mile long and wide) that actually has a good amount of game. Anyone that has any advice or insight on the unit would be greatly appreciated, as I live too far away to scout the area. PMs welcome!

Aaron

Don't overlook the national forest. I've seen antelope as high as Brown's Landing which is 8,700 ft. elevation.

Yes, the NF is open to antelope hunting between Cheyenne and Laramie. Wasn't that way several years back.

I see that some of those areas require outfitters for NR, so I'll have to check it out. I don't know a whole lot about pronghorns, but I always think of them as prairie animals. How dense is the population there? I love stalking and glossing, but with it being my wife's first time, I'm going for the highest probability. Thanks

I see that some of those areas require outfitters for NR, so I'll have to check it out. I don't know a whole lot about pronghorns, but I always think of them as prairie animals. How dense is the population there? I love stalking and glossing, but with it being my wife's first time, I'm going for the highest probability. Thanks

You only need a guide in a wilderness area. There aren't any such areas in 38. The population density is not super high in the NF, but the hunting pressure isn't either. There are a lot of open areas in the NF.

Make sure to look at the odds from the last few years. If you are going to try for a special I think you can get a 38 on a second or third choice. I would try for a little better unit that has a chance to draw with special tag like 42 for your first choice. Then if you end up with 38 you will get a point for next year.

That's not a bad idea-- so 42 is better than 38? Kind of looked more mountainous on the map from what I remember but had some decent size chunks of public

For some reason 38 has higher harvest numbers than 42. Doubt you will draw a second or third choice on it though, special draw, but maybe.
I do think NR have better chances of drawing second and third choices, I have never drawn a third choice as a resident.
Remember all areas have some random draw tags but odds are long to draw them, some body has to though.
Haven't hunted 42 in years but hunt 38 often, for residents 38 works just because we have time to be patient and hunt when the antelope are available.
42 does have an increase in tags for this year, buck and doe.

How's the accessibility in 42? It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of roads

My researched showed almost all (94%) the special draw 42 tags took more than 0 points to draw last year.

Last edited:
Back