MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

7mm WSM... thoughts?

Jesnoc

On a whim this afternoon, I dropped by the local gun shop and stumbled upon a Browning A Bolt in 7mm WSM. I found myself intrigued with the thought of owning it,so nevertheless I bought it! My spur of the moment thought was "wow, sounds like a great do anything round". Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the round. I find myself purchasing wildcat, semi wildcat caliber rifles to keep my Dillon RL550 from sitting idle. Seems like a great round to load and the ballistics look good. Just wanted to hear any first hand hunting stories with a 7mm WSM. Positive or negative!!!!

I have owned a Winchester 70 in 7MM WSM since they first came out. I really like it and it's been pretty much my only hunting rifle for the last 15+ years. As Mtmuley said, brass is getting hard to come by. Winchester still makes it but it seems like they only do a run once or twice a year and it sells out immediately. It can't readily be made from 300WSM or 270WSM because the shoulder is different. Sign up for alerts from Brownells or whoever so you know when it comes in stock and buy a bunch. I recently sent winchester an email requesting that they ramp up production as it seems like demand is still out there...couldn't hurt right? Ammo is out there, but it's not cheap. Mine seems to prefer 140gr bullets.

Last edited:
I have a Kimber Montana and GAP in the 7WSM. Very happy with both guns, but as mentioned, brass is difficult to find. Luckily I have 400 - 500 cases. If I was starting from scratch, I would have chosen differently. I realize brass can be reformed, but I would not have been that passionate.

While im not a WSM fan, It's the best of the WSM's. Strangely, it is the one that caught on the least.

For some reason it didn't get the traction that the 270 and 300 got even though the 7mm ballistics are superior to the 270. Me and a buddy ended up building 300's several years back after talking to a few gunsmiths that all mentioned the brass for the 7mm were going to be tough to acquire compared to the other 2. I wanted something to push 180-200 grain bullets so I went with the 300 as I already had a bunch of other smaller rifles.

I love my 300 and enjoy shooting it. It shoots lights out and the animals don't know that it's not a hipster caliber.

If you had a good deal on the 7, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

thanks for the replies. sounds like brass is the only drawback so far!! I searched the internet last night for a bit and found some decent prices on winchester brass, so may just scoop up what i can now to not worry about it. you guys have me excited to shoot it now!!

3,200 out of my GAP with 150 TSX. I don't know about the Kimber.

Last edited:
I had a love hate relationship with mine and ended up trading it in last year. It shot great but had some sort of hex on it every time I took it hunting. I sold all the brass on here and haven't missed it... much.

I love mine. It's my long range baby. I finally have a few hundred cases for reloading that should last me a long time. I'm shooting 180 Bergers around 2820 fps. I also shoot 168 Barnes Lrx at 2910 fps out of it.

The problem with the WSMs in general is the 280AI gets comparable speed and energy at distance without the recoil and weight of a magnum. That said, it's still fun to just have cool calibers.

The problem with the WSMs in general is the 280AI gets comparable speed and energy at distance without the recoil and weight of a magnum. That said, it's still fun to just have cool calibers.

You lost me. I don't notice any recoil difference between my shorts and my .280. As for weight, you will have to clarify a bit more. One of mine is quite heavy, but the other is quite light. Cartridge = weight = confused.

Cool cartridge...as others have said, buy every bit of brass when u can find it. Eventually youll have enough that it will cease to be an issue. And dont throw out the brass that gets loose in the primer pockets. The ball bearing trick seems to hold some promise for rejuvenating tired brass.
Enjoy

good round, my grandfather bought one in a M70 after all his guns were stolen. I have watched him take many deer and a few antelope with it, always one shot kills. he loads hornady 139 gr GMX bullets for his.

I bought a 7 wsm Howa a few years ago, to good of a deal to pass up. It is a killer on both ends without a brake. My son shot his buck with it this year. Most of the recoil is mental at the range for sure. It shoots well once you get serious between the ears.

You lost me. I don't notice any recoil difference between my shorts and my .280. As for weight, you will have to clarify a bit more. One of mine is quite heavy, but the other is quite light. Cartridge = weight = confused.

MTMiller, you bring up a very valid point. Especially since the WSM will be on a short action and a .280AI will be on a long action. In all reality, a WSM may be a couple ounces lighter than a .280AI because of the shorter action.....

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back