Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Keeping Ice in Hot Weather

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I get this question a lot, so I have decided to do a quick YouTube video on it. Many ask how we keep ice when we are on the road for really long trips, especially when we are far out in the sticks and might have to keep the first animal on ice for a couple days while filling the the last tag. This video answers some of it and what works for us. Interested in tricks others might use.

[video=youtube_share;ipY8upsp4qI]https://youtu.be/ipY8upsp4qI[/video]

Nicely done! I try to not take the milk cartons that have split open as I don't want a lot of water on my meat as they melt. If I have to take them I make sure to put them on the bottom under the meat then put more sealed jugs on top of the meat. I also open the drain plug and put a shim under the opposite end of the cooler for the drive home so that the bloody water drains into the pickup box, I'd rather have it there than have my meat soaking in water. My opinion anyway.

I found the 5 quart oil jugs are a more convenient shape than milk jugs as the are more rectangular than round. Also they are thinner so it makes it easier to put them on top of the meat and the caps and plastic is a bit thicker so I don't worry about them bursting if I over fill them with water and they expand. A bit of dry ice seems to dramatically increase how long everything stays completely frozen as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing, Randy! I usually use 1 gallon water jugs if I don't bring my freezer with me, they are often on sale for less than $1 and they seems like perfect size for my cooler.

Last edited:
Along with frozen water jugs, I use wadded up newspaper or plastic film/wrap to cut down on dead air space in the cooler.

That is just re-branded ArcticIce, they didnt even bother to change the image on their web site. Plenty of reviews on Amazon, and they are mixed at best.

I try to keep my cooler covered by something, towel etc. Keeping sun off of the top seems to really help. A seadek cooler pad is now on my yetis and I think it will help some.
Thanks for the tips Randy.

A white cooler really helps if it's in the sun.

Tyler at Castaway Customs used to be the man for custom SeaDek.

I used to do the same thing as described. OR....you can freeze a bunch of Capri Suns. When they thaw, you drink them (Walmart MTN OPS). Also, if they get punctured in the cooler, it serves as a great marinade. I like to remove the yellow straws and use them like marking tape to help me find my way back to camp.

I use empty half gallon jugs that had milk in them. They are more square and less wasted space than anything I have found. I also use arctic ice and some Yeti product about the same. I fill up two coolers (70 quart) with frozen quarts and top off with a couple arctic ice or similar products. I also fill a couple more coolers up with ice. I dedicate only ONE that I open and use while on my trip to the hunting area. The rest are never opened. Or find a spot to buy ice and pack before I head into my hunt area. Then I cover in my coolers with a old sleeping bag. I don't have fancy coolers, coleman extremes. They have kept ice for over a week in hot temps this way many times. Always try to park in the shade if possible. I use 2 gallon zip locks to put meat in boned out. That way I never have to worry about my meat soaking in water. By the time I bone it out its cool enough that in a plastic bag its fine, or if not I cool it before it goes into the bag.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back