Caribou Gear Tarp

Large-Scale Landscape Conservation

Nameless Range

I saw this article in the paper this morning and thought it was interesting. Keep in mind, this is not an article or thread about bikes in wilderness. That horse is a bloated carcass.

I was a big fan of Jon Tester’s Forest Jobs and Recreation Act (FJRA). It designated new wilderness areas and added to others, while also creating Recreation Management Areas – where things like snowmobiling and bicycles could be allowed, but more intrusive motorized access that really has a larger effect on hunting and wildlife would not. It also required some logging to take place. It was full of collaboration and compromise, and had it succeeded I think a lot of the places I and other Montanans value highly would be better protected today.

But that's not what this article is about. This article is about The Blackfoot-Clearwater Stewardship Act. Some of the things I found interesting in this article is the idea that we can’t just hold on to the status quo because it can be reversed quickly. If we are going to have large-scale landscape conservation occur we can’t ignore groups like mountain bikers, snowmobilers, and even motorized users. Large coalitions are important.

Which makes me think of groups like the Alliance for Wild Rockies and others, who see collaboration as nothing but corrupt. They want wilderness and nothing else. What’s interesting about these types of groups is they have done nothing to forward their cause, and I would argue have in fact hurt it. Short of litigation, they are inert in bringing large landscape level changes forward, and as recreation becomes more varied and important on public lands, are becoming more irrelevant with every day. That's not to say Wilderness isn't important, but more of an observation about their rationality. Because rationality and success are intertwined in respect to one's goals.

A quote I liked from the article came from Doug Ferrell of Trout Creek.

“I was a big skeptic of the collaborative process,” Ferrell said. “But my eyes have really opened about the things we can agree on. You get in the room and the industry guys said, ‘We’re not interested in that land – we’ll support your wilderness.’ There’s a small minority satisfied to fold their hands and say, 'We’re going to stick up for our principles and never compromise.'

"The chances of those guys prevailing and getting anything done is zero.”

That last sentence is important.

Last edited:
I See no reason in most cases where big collaborations wouldn't benefit everyone, it gets really old listening to all the reasons we can't work together instead of getting things done

I have posted a link to this thread on Matthew Koehler's Facebook wall.

While I was there I noticed he gave TRCP a 1-star review. :rolleyes:

In my 20 years of trying, I don't believe those select groups give a crap about conservation, it's all about the payday. Collaboration significantly reduces the possibility of a paycheck.

Old Smoke is a classic. 3 Miles an Hour is a great film where he shares a lot of his feelings for wilderness and this part of Montana. More Smoke, less Koehler IMO.

If you're from Montana and haven't sat down and talked with, took his packing class, or have never met Smoke...pretty tough to call yourself a Montanan.

A great guy and the real deal.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back