MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Busy spring hunting, Namibia, Kansas pic heavy

Southwind

I was fortunate to be able to go on an off season hunt in Namibia mid March. Africa is something you should consider and Namibia was wild and challenging hunt. It was an honor to hunt with my PH and some incredible trackers, watching these guys work was in itself enough for me. We did find some great animals and never caught up with others I had hoped to get but that's the way it goes.

I came back home to scramble scouting and preparing to guide for the Kansas One Shot Governors Turkey hunt. Second year in a row I was paired with a first time turkey hunter and was able to put him on a bird that scored a little over 74 points and took 3rd of 83 hunters and 115 birds.

Now it's time to prepare and dream of fall. Well maybe a little more turkey hunting first

2017-03-19 19.08.36 HDR.jpg2017-03-20 18.48.14 HDR.jpg2017-03-28 21.15.44.jpgerindi namibia sunset 2.jpgIMG_3560.jpgIMG_3586.jpgimpala.jpgoryx 1 (2).jpgoryx 2.jpgspringbok 1.jpgsteenbok 1.jpg2017-04-13 07.31.02.jpg2017-04-14 19.54.16.jpg

Wow, what a spring!

I love the gemsbok's face pattern, it is so striking. For years my parents had a tanned hide draped over the back of one of their couches. Soft and prickly all at the same time.

Nice animals.

What's the rifle? Super Express? Had the same rifle for a couple trips to Africa. Since sold it and replaced it with a bit more utilitarian (beater) Alaskan model. Sold it to a guy in TX or OK about 4 years ago. Not a lot of them floating around.

I was just looking at air fair to Namibia today. A guy can dream. :D

You got it Bambistew a Super Express 375 h&h, couldn't not take it to Africa but I did use my pre 64 model 70 fwt 270 on the Springbok. Keep dreaming about Namibia, I am dreaming about going back.

Dumb question, were you able to bring much of the meat back?

No, it's not a dumb question. You eat the meat everyday while you are there but the majority is distributed to the villages and workers on the ranches. Everything is used down to the bone, the marrow intestines you name it. That is with the exception of the jackal. Protein is a premium so nothing is wasted.

Forget the popular media and what you see and hear here. Hunting in Africa is what gives value to these animals and supports the conservation effort for their existence and flourishment. I example the whole Cecil the lion episode, the very same park which Cecil lived the government culled 200 lions this year because of overpopulation a story you have to look for to find. The countries that have embraced legal hunting the animals are thriving, those that don't they are in trouble.

It's like here hunters pay for conservation. If you watch Nat Geo you would think you pull up to an open field with dozens of species meandering around just waiting to be shot but these animals want to live and are as spooky and flighty as any animal you will pursue here. They see, smell or hear you and they are gone into a thorn laced labyrinth. At lest in Namibia this is the case. Really, for less than a price of a guided elk hunt here you can hunt several species in an amaizing land. I would recommend it to anyone for a change of pace.

No, it's not a dumb question. You eat the meat everyday while you are there but the majority is distributed to the villages and workers on the ranches. Everything is used down to the bone, the marrow intestines you name it. That is with the exception of the jackal. Protein is a premium so nothing is wasted.

Forget the popular media and what you see and hear here. Hunting in Africa is what gives value to these animals and supports the conservation effort for their existence and flourishment. I example the whole Cecil the lion episode, the very same park which Cecil lived the government culled 200 lions this year because of overpopulation a story you have to look for to find. The countries that have embraced legal hunting the animals are thriving, those that don't they are in trouble.

It's like here hunters pay for conservation. If you watch Nat Geo you would think you pull up to an open field with dozens of species meandering around just waiting to be shot but these animals want to live and are as spooky and flighty as any animal you will pursue here. They see, smell or hear you and they are gone into a thorn laced labyrinth. At lest in Namibia this is the case. Really, for less than a price of a guided elk hunt here you can hunt several species in an amaizing land. I would recommend it to anyone for a change of pace.

My most amazing trip was hunting in Africa in 2012. You're right about what the media wants you to hear. Talk to the locals in an area where elephant culling has stopped and they'll tell you how the overpopulation is turning some areas into a wasteland.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, armed with a camera or gun, wouldn't matter which.

Back