Caribou Gear

USPS lost my package - what to do?

MTGomer

This is only hunting related in the sense that the item I ordered was for hunting - a Delorme/Garimin InReach Satellite messenger.
I just figure with the audience here, maybe someone knows what to do?

I ordered a slightly used Inreach from a private seller on Ebay. The transaction was smooth and he shipped it promptly and provided a tracking number.

Where I live there are locked boxes for mail, and larger locked boxes for parcels. If a parcel doesn't fit, they leave a slip and you have to go get it from the post office.
I live 4 minutes from the office and go home many days for lunch. Yesterday while I was at home for lunch, the ebay notification popped up on my phone- 'parcel delivered'. When I opened the notice, it said ' delivered to individual'. Strange-they never deliver them to individuals, only to the box outside. I thought maybe it was mistaken and I went out to the mailbox,figuring it was in there. It wasn't.

I've been in touch with USPS who got in touch with the mail lady. She says there was a person at the mailboxes who said she had a package for him, and she gave it to him. She says she did not check his ID. She *claims* that he gave her my name, so she didn't need to check his ID. She has to be lying about that part, because there is nobody who would know to say my name expecting a package. I think she's just trying to cover for herself.
I believe there probably was legitimately a guy with a package, and she simply accidentally gave him mine, and didn't verify what she was giving whom. If thats the case, he has not yet done the right thing by bringing it back.

Does anyone know what a person's recourse is for this? I haven't got anything too promising out of USPS yet.
Ebay wants me to go after the sender. That isn't right, he did everything correctly. And I don't think he's just going to take my word for it and refund me anyway. If I sent something, and the tracking # said 'delivered' I wouldn't give a total stranger their money back.

If anybody has had any similiar experiences and tips on what a person can do to be made whole- preferably by USPS, I'd love to hear them. Thank you.

I would try and get ahold of the Postal Inspector agent in your area and see if he is willing to look into it. I'm friends with one in my area, and when I was having an issue with my local post office, just mentioning his name to them got them jumping.

It's definitely not the sellers fault.

Good luck. I used to work for a company that shipped stuff usps. I never remember getting paid on an insurance claim.

This is only hunting related in the sense that the item I ordered was for hunting - a Delorme/Garimin InReach Satellite messenger.
I just figure with the audience here, maybe someone knows what to do?

I ordered a slightly used Inreach from a private seller on Ebay. The transaction was smooth and he shipped it promptly and provided a tracking number.

Where I live there are locked boxes for mail, and larger locked boxes for parcels. If a parcel doesn't fit, they leave a slip and you have to go get it from the post office.
I live 4 minutes from the office and go home many days for lunch. Yesterday while I was at home for lunch, the ebay notification popped up on my phone- 'parcel delivered'. When I opened the notice, it said ' delivered to individual'. Strange-they never deliver them to individuals, only to the box outside. I thought maybe it was mistaken and I went out to the mailbox,figuring it was in there. It wasn't.

I've been in touch with USPS who got in touch with the mail lady. She says there was a person at the mailboxes who said she had a package for him, and she gave it to him. She says she did not check his ID. She *claims* that he gave her my name, so she didn't need to check his ID. She has to be lying about that part, because there is nobody who would know to say my name expecting a package. I think she's just trying to cover for herself.
I believe there probably was legitimately a guy with a package, and she simply accidentally gave him mine, and didn't verify what she was giving whom. If thats the case, he has not yet done the right thing by bringing it back.

Does anyone know what a person's recourse is for this? I haven't got anything too promising out of USPS yet.
Ebay wants me to go after the sender. That isn't right, he did everything correctly. And I don't think he's just going to take my word for it and refund me anyway. If I sent something, and the tracking # said 'delivered' I wouldn't give a total stranger their money back.

If anybody has had any similiar experiences and tips on what a person can do to be made whole- preferably by USPS, I'd love to hear them. Thank you.

If this is true wouldn't the guy come back looking for his actual package? Possibly waiting for the mail lady, who would hopefully question him about your package.
Sounds like a scam to me more than an accident. Does the seller have good/extensive feedback? EBAY maybe wants you to go after the sender because I think in some circumstances the seller has to initiate the insurance claim.

Last edited:
The only time I filed a claim with usps it took 9 months to get it but I did get it. Insured item only anything else you get $50 and they refund your freight.

How big is your complex? Can you knock on doors and ask you neighbors? Idk what you paid but it's probably more than the standard insurance you get with a package.

If this is true wouldn't the guy come back looking for his actual package? Possibly waiting for the mail lady, who would hopefully question him about your package.
Sounds like a scam to me more than an accident. Does the seller have good/extensive feedback? EBAY maybe wants you to go after the sender because I think in some circumstances the seller has to initiate the insurance claim.

I don't know how it could be a scam on the part of the seller. He provided a tracking number which I used via USPS website to track the package. The mail lady also claims to recall having the package in her hand and giving it to someone. So for it to be a scam on the part of the seller seems impossible. He has 100% positive feedback including recent feedback.

But yes, you would think a guy would come back looking for his package. Unless he maybe wasn't waiting for a package and is just a crook, a tweaker, etc.. No shortage of meth related theft in Billings. If this in fact was a theft, it would be the third one (and the only three of my life) since I moved here 2.5 years ago. The first was the burglary of my garage where $7k+ in items were stolen. The second was a brand new Polaris Ranger and brand new trailer ($15k) and yes they were secured and parked in front of surveillance. And to think I live on the 'nice' side of town.

I believe you're correct that the claim has to be initiated by the sender.

Last edited:
I had a similar but reversed and yes the seller or shipper has to file the claim with ups. If you paid by paypal the you notify them you didn't receive the item and you should end up with a refund. The shipper will have to eat any loss.

I'm a Carrier ! Postal Policy is if you do NOT know the person you don't give them mail period with out ID'ing a person ! Get ahold of the Postmaster at your post office or a postal inspector !
IMG_5290.jpg

Report it to your Police or Sheriff's Department. The guy who sold it to you should be able to provide the make, model, and serial number. Good bet it might be sold quickly to a pawn shop someplace and having the serial number might help them to identify the person who pawned or sold it!

I don't know how it could be a scam on the part of the seller. He provided a tracking number which I used via USPS website to track the package. The mail lady also claims to recall having the package in her hand and giving it to someone. So for it to be a scam on the part of the seller seems impossible. He has 100% positive feedback including recent feedback.

But yes, you would think a guy would come back looking for his package. Unless he maybe wasn't waiting for a package and is just a crook, a tweaker, etc.. No shortage of meth related theft in Billings. If this in fact was a theft, it would be the third one (and the only three of my life) since I moved here 2.5 years ago. The first was the burglary of my garage where $7k+ in items were stolen. The second was a brand new Polaris Ranger and brand new trailer ($15k) and yes they were secured and parked in front of surveillance. And to think I live on the 'nice' side of town.

I believe you're correct that the claim has to be initiated by the sender.

By scam, I meant theft really. Although I suppose there could be some scams involved with sellers on ebay, I wasn't suggesting that the seller was in on it or something. Just thinking that a good and reputable seller would be helpful in trying to resolve the situation and/or initiate a claim of some kind.

And it has shown up in my box.
I'd be interested to know how it got there, since the carrier swears a man approached her, told her my name and she gave it to him....
But mostly I'm just glad to have it and not have to deal with all the BS that would be involved in trying to get compensated.

I'd be interested to know how it got there, since the carrier swears a man approached her, told her my name and she gave it to him....
But mostly I'm just glad to have it and not have to deal with all the BS that would be involved in trying to get compensated.

A few years ago I had several "custom" knives from Buck stolen off my porch and have since started sending packages to my work. Might be time to have that stuff rerouted to where you're at during the day.

You need to talk to the Postal Inspector. You were a victim of theft and the person involved got spooked and put it in your mail box. They may have other incidents involving this carrier, let them sort it out.

It may have just been a mistake on the tracking. I've had things say that they were delivered, but then not actually show up till the next day or two. I thought some UPS or USPS workers would do this just to pad their delivery stats or something but I have no proof of that.

Is the box locked? only the mail man and residents have a key? If so you know it must have been a neighbor my mistake.

I thought some UPS or USPS workers would do this just to pad their delivery stats or something but I have no proof of that.

when packages arrive at the post office they get scanned arrival at unit , which show as delivered, then clerks route the packages to the individual route,then when a carrier delivers the package to the final place it goes we scan them for final delivery to residence a lot of people mistake the arrival at unit scan, as delivered to my home scan. carriers like myself get paid hourly, we dont get a bonus for delivering extra packages or letters, light mail day or a heavy mail day pays the same. glad to hear you got your package :cool:

Last edited:
Is the box locked? only the mail man and residents have a key? If so you know it must have been a neighbor my mistake.

The boxes are locked. Individually. My key works for my box only. so only I and the master key (USPS) can get into it.

If you get a package, a key to a specific larger box is left inside your mail box. Once you stick the key in that larger box, it opens the door to the box, but the key stays and cannot be removed without another key that only USPS has.
Its not the kind of box anybody can slip something into.

Maybe she is mistaken and gave someone elses package to someone else and my tracking info was off and it just came the next day.
its a mystery, but the inreach is in good shape.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back