My daughters First western Hunt

toddh

My daughter is 11 now and will be 12 next fall she has been white tail hunting with me and next fall will be duck/goose hunting. I was hoping for some advice i want to take her out west and i am having a hard time deciding what would be the best first hunt. I was thinking antelope in Wyoming. I want to get a bunch of hunts in with her before she grows up but i can only afford one trip out a year. Thank you for any input.

Pronghorn is definitely the best first western hunt for anyone young or old and everything in between. Wyoming is generally the best way to go for Antelope but NM has youth only hunts I would be applying for yearly.

Bring her out to antelope hunt and just maybe during that trip you can get up into the forest and hear some elk bugle. I would definitely look into the youth hunts offered by all states. Some have great early seasons and very reduced rates for tags. Fall spawning trout are beautiful and fun to catch also. A deer/ antelope combo could work out for your subsequent trips.

99% of this gang will give you the same great advice - WY antelope - That's what I did with my girls, (with the HT gang's help) I just wish I had started a few years earlier like you are. They have now shot way more western critters than me and that's a good thing. Good job on realizing time will go by fast and like mine they will be off to college before you know it. Get a WY antelope pref. point this year, and you will have a great hunt with her in 2018. Also do as others have suggested and look at youth hunts in other states and use those for an every other year bases with WY antelope. Just prepare for the 2019 and beyond seasons somewhere now and do what is needed to get preference points, etc. - Again, I applaud you for getting her involved early. Those WY hunts with my girls are by far the absolute best hunts I have ever had in my life! Best wishes!

Ditto on the other suggestions. I will be taking my son out for his first trip this year. Pronghorn are the way to go. The weather is usually better, terrain easier, and gam is out and easy to see all day long. Even if its ground you can't hunt you can see them when you're traveling.

After talking about it for a couple years my daughter decided she wanted to hunt this year. She's 14. I am SO excited!!! We live in Nevada and unless you put in for right around Reno, youth tags are almost guaranteed so I'm pretty positive she will draw a deer tag this year. It's going to be the best hunt ever!
My family lives in WY and yes, WY antelope would be a great choice along with building points in any state. You are starting early and youth tags are much easier to draw. Good luck!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back