Yeti GOBOX Collection

I need a god pair of Hunting/Hiking Pants

SDS14

Hello Everybody,

I am currently looking for a good, durable, quiet, breathable, full range of motion, pair of hunting and/or hiking pants. I will be using them for hunting in Utah's backcountry from end of September to November. Majority of the pants I have tried on are ultralight weight hiking pants that feel like they will rip once I get off the trail. I am open to hear what you guys use for pants in the field and on the trail. My budget for pants is around $75 for a pair, but don't shy away if you know of a pant that cost more than my budget. Lastly, what material should I be looking for in good hunting/hiking pants? My goal is to not hunt in my levi's anymore.

Thanks for your help.
-SDS14

I would check out firstlite, sitka, and Kuiu you wont find anything in your price range on their website but if you find something you like you might be able to get it on ebay, craigslist, ect. I have found the wool to hold up about the same as the synthetics in the brush but I like that wool doesn't smell and/ melt when you get it too close to a fire drying it out ;)

Take a look at a pair of Prana Zion pants. You can usually find a deal right in your price range.

I've had great luck with nylon pants from REI and Columbia. The ones with 2-5% spandex are preferrable for the give. I also prefer those that don't have zip off legs. The Prana's mentioned above fit that bill. I'm wanting to give the Flex Dry on the Fly material from Duluth Trading Company. I bet those hiking pants will surprise you how tough they are.

I have a pair of Prana pants and they are pretty good for most situations. They are really comfortable and excellent when hiking on established trails. They do have some frays from briars so I worry that they won't hold up to long term abuse from sharp trees and other thorny bushes.

Another 2 thumbs up on the Duluth flex. They seam kind of fragile but I've been wearing mine for 1 1/2 years. Using them for backpacking, trail hiking, 2 weeks in the backcountry, and wearing to the office. They do have a slight sheen to them.

Costco has the UB Rainier Tech pants for $20. Pretty much identical to Eddie Bauer Guide Pro and have a gray and tan color. Great pants for the price. Prana Stretch Zion are also great pants.

Another 2 thumbs up on the Duluth flex. They seam kind of fragile but I've been wearing mine for 1 1/2 years. Using them for backpacking, trail hiking, 2 weeks in the backcountry, and wearing to the office. They do have a slight sheen to them.

I abuse mine, and they have held up great. I have a few pairs of pants and shorts.

All I wear and have worn when in the field and at home for nearly 4 years. I've yet to rip a pair, and I travel through stuff that eats OR Crocodile gaiters for lunch (dwarf birch and willow). Not sure why the pants hold up so much better, but they do. I don't think I've ripped any of them, and I'm into them 4 pair.

I had a pair of Kuhl pants that I really liked, but they discontinued the model, and I couldn't find a pair they made that fit right.

I have Sitka too but I second the Prana Zion pants, my favorite year round.

I really like the Cabelas Microtex pants. Also I really like 5.11 Flex-tac Stryke pants(if you're not concerned about them being camo). I don't have the money for Sitka, Firstlite, Kuiu, etc... so these are what I really like.

I will second Cabelas Mircotex. Cabelas runs sales on them quite often.

I just bought a pair of Kuhl Radikyls. I have only worn them a few days and slept in them a couple nights. Very impressed and just bough another pair for field work. Not sure of the durability, but damn comfortable. Might have to try the Ryders as well based on a coworkers opinion. Still have my Kuiu NA made Attach pants from 5 or 6 years ago. Still going strong except for the back pocket I tore out.

Cabelas Microtex or the Prana Zions ... both great pants. The former will be a bit looser fit, the latter are more snug.

I use them both -- but Kuiu Attacks are the most comfortable pants I have, and are my standard travel/weekend/lounge/hiking/hunting pants.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back