PEAX Equipment

Wyoming second and third choices

INJones

I need some help with my application strategy. I understand the first choice process with the preference points and the bonus draw. How does Wyoming assign second or third choices? is it just a random draw since the bonus points aren't considered for the second and third choices?

Thanks

Scott

yep, new random number, points not used. The same random draw, random number, will be used for the leftover draw also.

I need some help with my application strategy. I understand the first choice process with the preference points and the bonus draw. How does Wyoming assign second or third choices? is it just a random draw since the bonus points aren't considered for the second and third choices?

Thanks

Scott

Just keep in mind your choices for second and third drawings need to be units that don't draw out in first choice. There has to be tags left to go to second choice and so on. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

I have zero points and have identified two units that I would like to hunt. One I won't draw on pref points, since I have zero points but the random draw odds aren't <1%. So a win-win, I either get really lucky and draw a good unit or get a pref point. The other unit was a 100% draw, left over tag unit. That was going to be my second choice.

Wasn't sure if I should keep looking for a third unit to add into the mix.

Just keep in mind your choices for second and third drawings need to be units that don't draw out in first choice. There has to be tags left to go to second choice and so on. Good luck.

What is the process if the Special has tags left over but the Regular does not after the Preference draw (or Regular does but Special does not)? Do those undersubscribed Preference tags fall to the 2nd Choice Draw? Do tags fall into Leftover draw at some point even if the other (Regular or Special) had unfilled applications for that unit tag?

yep, new random number, points not used. The same random draw, random number, will be used for the leftover draw also.

You will need to apply for the leftover draw separately. So no it will not be the same number as the random draw.

You are mistaken.
You get 2 random numbers when you apply, the random number used for the random draw is also being used for leftover draw, should you chose to apply.

Thanks for the replies.

I have zero points and have identified two units that I would like to hunt. One I won't draw on pref points, since I have zero points but the random draw odds aren't <1%. So a win-win, I either get really lucky and draw a good unit or get a pref point. The other unit was a 100% draw, left over tag unit. That was going to be my second choice.

Wasn't sure if I should keep looking for a third unit to add into the mix.

Might be beneficial to find a tag that has some decent odds with 3rd choice. With the left over draw being started this year it may change some folks strategies and thus change drawing odds.

Was re-reading this before putting in my units and thought of another question.

Do the special and regular pools remain separate during the first, second and third choice passes or only the first choice pass?

There are some units if you look at the 2016 draw reports - not the odds but spread sheets for the various pools - where there are left over tags after the third choice in the special draw but not after the first choice in the regular draw.

If my question is not clear let me know. I feel like I'm struggling with my words.

Thanks,

Scott

I believe the Special is ran as if is a separate draw from the Regular. Tags do not move back and forth during the initial draw just as tags do not move back and forth from WY to MT. Leftover draw is when Special and Regular surplus tags would first be combined.

You are mistaken.
You get 2 random numbers when you apply, the random number used for the random draw is also being used for leftover draw, should you chose to apply.

Bob, do you know what happens if someone who doesn't apply in the regular draw decides they want to try for a leftover since they won't already have a number?

Back