Outright Bribery!

Your family owns that joint, or did you just work there? I have never, ever, passed by without the appropriate indulgence. It is a big part of why Malta is on my wife's list as a possible retirement locations, with DQ helping balance the scales of immense skeeter numbers and harsh winters when measured against the virtually untouched walleye fishing nearby.

I used to stop there every time I was in town, but now I have to stop at Ray J's instead. Not unusual to still get a Blizzard from time to time.

Retire to Malta? Interesting.

Your family owns that joint, or did you just work there? I have never, ever, passed by without the appropriate indulgence. It is a big part of why Malta is on my wife's list as a possible retirement locations, with DQ helping balance the scales of immense skeeter numbers and harsh winters when measured against the virtually untouched walleye fishing nearby.

My wife's parents owned it and now her sister and husband own it. I have worked there on occasion when a basketball or other type of tourney in town required all hands on deck plus some. I really enjoy our visits to Malta and the DQ is only one reason.

I couldn't opine on that topic of "food;" DQ ice cream being a few steps above "food." I never order the "food" at DQ; waste of money and bigger waste of allowed calories. I could have two blizzards for the calorie cost of one of those souped up things I call condiment delivery platforms (burgers). Add some greasy fries and I could have a second medium vanilla cone.

"Ice cream is ice cream?" Blasphemy, I say.

I've sampled soft serve ice cream across North America, hoping something would appear that rivals DQ. So far, none come close. I feel it is time to end this futile search and just pound more Raspberry Chocolate Truffle Blizzards and be thankful we have such simple pleasures in 'Merica. Second, and a far distant second, is the chocolate/vanilla swirl at Frontier Bait and Tackle in Marcell, MN, much of what I credit to the quality of their cones (seem to be a DQ knock off). Given the DQ in Grand Rapids is only another 24 miles from our family cabin, I will burn the gas for the palate upgrade DQ provides.

Fair enough. I can sympathize with you as we too go out of our way to hit DQ for Blizzards to this day. It just isn't the same when the trifecta of good food/great ice cream/friendly small town folks is broken up by the lack of good food. ;)

I couldn't opine on that topic of "food;" DQ ice cream being a few steps above "food." I never order the "food" at DQ; waste of money and bigger waste of allowed calories. I could have two blizzards for the calorie cost of one of those souped up things I call condiment delivery platforms (burgers). Add some greasy fries and I could have a second medium vanilla cone.

"Ice cream is ice cream?" Blasphemy, I say.

I've sampled soft serve ice cream across North America, hoping something would appear that rivals DQ. So far, none come close. I feel it is time to end this futile search and just pound more Raspberry Chocolate Truffle Blizzards and be thankful we have such simple pleasures in 'Merica. Second, and a far distant second, is the chocolate/vanilla swirl at Frontier Bait and Tackle in Marcell, MN, much of what I credit to the quality of their cones (seem to be a DQ knock off). Given the DQ in Grand Rapids is only another 24 miles from our family cabin, I will burn the gas for the palate upgrade DQ provides.

If you ever make it to central Wisconsin you need to stop at Belt's Soft Serve in Stevens Point.

I would recommend the volcano cone. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
We stopped at the DQ in Childress, TX a couple of Augusts ago. 107 degrees in the shade, and the soft ice cream was just right.

I do enjoy the DQ discussion but all this gave me an idea.

Randy should actually raffle/auction off a GPS that he has used for a hunt with all the track and waypoint data on it. Possibly a good way to raise money for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation or some other charity. Just thinking out loud.

Being a Texan for 34 of my 37 years of life....and now residing in Montana, I have to make it known that DQ outside of Texas is a joke. At least from the food standpoint.....ice cream is ice cream. You want T brand Tacos......not outside of Texas. You want a Dude sandwich....not outside of Texas.

and don't even start me on that nasty shit they call fry sauce. lol

We had an old DQ back in the day. It must have been operating under a really old franchise agreement, it was unreal and nothing like other DQ'so you would come across. The Fried Mushrooms were incredible.

I've yet to come across an ice cream shop that rivals Braums ice cream I tasted in South Central Kansas. Living in Cheyenne I do get to frequent DQ, but I'm here to tell ya if you ever find yourself on any kind of trip and see that beautiful Braums sign, do yourself a favor and stop to treat your taste buds.

The response above about the dog liking DQ made me remember an event from long ago. My buddy and his wife were going up fishing with my wife and I. We each drove separately. He had his black lab in the back of his truck in a topper. We stopped halfway to the lake in Walker MN for a DQ and he bought his dog a vanilla cone.

A mile before the campground he said he noticed his dog start to do "the spin"! He didn't stop. When we got to the campground his dog had crapped on all of his camping gear. Sleeping bags, tents, clothes bags, everywhere. The dog had walked in it and spread it everywhere in only a couple of minutes. Two morals to this story: DQ is great for people but maybe not so much for dogs and ALWAYS pay attention to "The Spin"!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back