Caribou Gear Tarp

Which Leupold spotter?

Addicting

I've read thru a lot of the threads on here and there is a lot of people recommending multiple different brands.

Given the option of a Leupold GR 15-30x50mm Compact Or a SX-1 Ventana 2 15-45x60mm, which one would you choose and why.

I want to stick with Leupold and will be using it in a Montana Elk/deer day trip hunt this year. I am using a Exo Mountian daypack so size and weight are important. The rest of the time it will be part of my range set up.

Thanks Tony

Normally I would say the GR, but that Guard-Ion coating on the Ventana has me intrigued. I haven't tried a Leupold with it yet but I'm very curious.

I have them all, or have tried them all. Between those two, I would pick the Gold Ring. I actually use that 50mm quite often. Weighing only 21 ounces is great. The glass quality is very good. Since I rely mostly on binos when elk hunting and then go to a spotter for closer inspection, the 50mm is very workable, though some would demand a 60-85mm. I already carry enough weight with production gear, so I am thankful for the sleekness and lightweight of the Gold Ring.

Big Fin, I already have a VX6 3x18x50 fire dot and 10x42 Mojave HD. Is the GR compact going to bring that much more to the table verses weight, or better to go to a bigger lense because of a good scope/Bino combo?

Looks like the compact comes in at 21.5 oz and the larger lense Ventana comes in at 37oz. I don't have experience with either so I don't know if a extra pound is worth it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Big Fin, I already have a VX6 3x18x50 fire dot and 10x42 Mojave HD. Is the GR compact going to bring that much more to the table verses weight, or better to go to a bigger lense because of a good scope/Bino combo?

Looks like the compact comes in at 21.5 oz and the larger lense Ventana comes in at 37oz. I don't have experience with either so I don't know if a extra pound is worth it.

Thanks

Not sure that the VX6 has any connection to a discussion on a spotter. If I said something that connects those dots, sorry.

All of this is personal hunting styles. I like the 50mm or 60mm. I have an 80mm and it stays in the truck for long range glassing. Just too much weight for what I want to carry.

I will take the higher quality GR glass and the lighter weight of the GR, even at a 50mm. I carry that, or at times the 60mm, even though I have the Mojave HD binos.

I went with the Ventana. It is definitely more entry level then the GR. I put it on a SLIK tripod. The combination suffice for me. 10X 42 Binos. Someday I will go for GR and some higher end Leupold glass.

I looked at Ebay last night and noticed a lot of used Ventana scopes on there and very little GR. I figured if that's the case and can stand up to Big Fin's scrutiny its good enough for me. I pulled the trigger on the GR 15-30x50mm Compact Shadow Gray, their aluminum tripod, and the Rx-1200i. With the Military/LEO pricing it was a good deal and under budget. I even had enough left over to buy some trekking poles, if you see me on the mountain, I will be the guy that looks like a Leopold billboard. Just stop by and say HI.

I am also going to be in the market for a cover and phone adapter if anyone has recommendations. I didn't buy the kit that comes with a cover because I used that money to buy the full size tripod instead.

I like the little 15-30x50mm gold ring Leupold. It's a nice compact scope that is light in weight and the optics are good. That would be my choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back