Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ohio Bird #1 in the freezer

dcopas78

Tagged my first bird of the year this morning. It started out pretty slow, very little gobbling on the roost...no gobbling when they hit the ground. Around 8:00, I got out of the blind and started going in search of the turkeys, since the weren't where I was. I made a circle and checked some known struting/staging areas with not a turkey in any of them. I made about a 2 mile loop and came back to my blind, gathered it up and started out of the woods to meet up with dad at the truck. We saw a hen on the way out, but other than that it was pretty much a dud morning. I dropped dad off at his house. By that time, it was 1100, and in Ohio you can only hunt until 1200 the first two weeks of the season.

I had one other area I could do a quick loop that I thought I might be able to catch one in. I left the car at 11:15. At 11:28 he was on the ground. There were 3 big birds together, this one just happened to give me the best opportunity for a shot. 22lbs, 9.5" beard, 1" sharp spurs, 3-year old bird more than likely. Now time to get the wife one on Saturday.

turkey.jpg

A wonderful morning had by all but the turkey.

I am glad that Kansas allows all day hunting, as that allows a quick after work hunt or two or three during the season.

Very well done! With the temps/growth I'm expecting them to be pretty quiet on the ground for the Wednesday opener here in Hoosier land.

Well done, I should get out in the morning but can't stay for long.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back