Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Trump to Order Review of National Monuments

Schaaf

"On Wednesday, Trump will sign an executive order to demand that the Interior Department secretary examine all national monument designations in the past 21 years to discern whether their size and scope are within the law's intent, a move that tracks clearly with concerns of members of Utah's federal delegation about the use of the unilateral presidential power in designating monuments."

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5209914-155/trump-to-order-review-of-bears

It's taken 100 years to finally defeat Theodore Roosevelt's vision of conservation on public lands.

Well done, Trump.

Damn, Trump loves those executive orders he used to detest when Obama signed them. TR must be spinning in his grave.

What is the justification for adding more monuments? Seems is more of an ego-driven thing for the President to add to their legacy by saying "I did this" rather than a coordinated effort where we say, hey, let's make more restrictions on public land in a straight-forward manner as in how we close military bases. Lot's of discussion and reviews on the impact. Nope, the President sticks in his thumb and pulls out a plum and says what a good boy am I (actually had to do with the King stealing estates).

What is the justification for adding more monuments?
LopeHunter, I encourage you to review the history of national monuments and particularly how many transitioned into the jewels of the National Park System. You will find that these designations have often culminated from years of discussions and concerns about the protection of our natural and cultural heritage. It wasn't usually at the "ego-driven" whim of a legacy driven President.

Bummer.
Nothing wrong with a legacy if it for the benefit of all, & future generations.
TR's legacy is not too shabby and his stance as a politico for the greater good. Something lost by his own party.
I'd rather give up some hunting on some lands than have them made into drill sites & a strip mine.
Some places just plain need some protection in the area.

This executive order is to please Utah politicians unhappy with Bears Ears and Grand Staircase. Leaked memos showed very good relations and discussion between the DOI and Utah representatives offices during the decisions made for the national monument. I believe this review is most specifically targeted at those two monuments especially when Grand Staircase is exactly on the 21 year mark when it was desgnated. I think it's possible to see them shrunk, they won't be reversed. Grand Staircase should be left alone, Bears Ears may be shrunk but I doubt it will be reversed. I don't like this order, I'm on the side of wildlife and wild places and unapologetically.

Hunting and fishing are recreational activities typically allowed on national monuments. There are a few exceptions but generally the policy is to allow hunting.

The two main monuments targeted here still allow hiking, camping, ATV trails, hunting, fishing, and free access among several other recreational uses.

It's taken 100 years to finally defeat Theodore Roosevelt's vision of conservation on public lands.

Well done, Trump.

How so? Maybe I missed something, somewhere. Isn't this executive order to "review" monument designations? What would be a better way to understand monument designations before making any changes at all?

How so? Maybe I missed something, somewhere. Isn't this executive order to "review" monument designations? What would be a better way to understand monument designations before making any changes at all?

Given the people being appointed to positions at Interior, the general tone this administration has taken against conservation programs and true multiple use management and the heavy hand of UT influencing wildlife & public lands politics in Trump's swamp, a reivew is simply the first step towards removing protections for public lands based on some malarkey. The case law surrounding the Antiquities Act is not clear, because it's been a wildly popular act since it's inception, yet still reviled by the same people who suddenly have shifted from transfer of public lands to simply making up the new rules for managing lands.

It's a con. A 'review" will say what they want it to say, not the truth. And certainly not what's the best thing for the land or wildlife. This administration has been pissing on TR's grave while holding his picture high since they got inaugurated.

Hunting and fishing are recreational activities typically allowed on national monuments. There are a few exceptions but generally the policy is to allow hunting.
There are some restriction's & some that are closed to hunting,but not many.
El Malpais for example is closed in about half of it.
Bandalier,all of it is closed.
Mesa Verde, closed I believe.
The thousands of acres of public surrounding these are open to hunting.

Sounds like some more folks want to get sized up for XXL asshat to match Chaffetz's.

Given the people being appointed to positions at Interior, the general tone this administration has taken against conservation programs and true multiple use management and the heavy hand of UT influencing wildlife & public lands politics in Trump's swamp, a reivew is simply the first step towards removing protections for public lands based on some malarkey. The case law surrounding the Antiquities Act is not clear, because it's been a wildly popular act since it's inception, yet still reviled by the same people who suddenly have shifted from transfer of public lands to simply making up the new rules for managing lands.

It's a con. A 'review" will say what they want it to say, not the truth. And certainly not what's the best thing for the land or wildlife. This administration has been pissing on TR's grave while holding his picture high since they got inaugurated.

Ben, I'm only slightly kidding to say you should be on Mt. Rushmore alongside TR. You're a huge asset and spokesman for conservation and public lands. Thank You.

Is the "review" on only NMs? A fair number of these are actually plums set up to make various congressmen look good to their constituencies. They find some old house or building and declare it a national treasure (not just a historic site). Federal money buys it, brings it up to code, hires a ranger-historian, as well as a few more rangers as administrators and a staff of civil servants. Great stuff, yet the National Parks and real Monuments are underfunded and have huge deferred maintenance issues and best of all, the member of congress is revered at home for finally doing something for the district. I would like to see a review of these bad boy sites too. Nothing will happen to any of the monuments being reviewed. Its all eyewash. GJ

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back