Montana 270-50 mulie tag!!!

If I had any info I'd share it. I've never been in the unit. I know two people that have had the tag. They are good hunters but weren't familiar with the area. They got bucks I believe in the high 170s. Obviously others do better than that but I wouldn't expect it to be a cake walk.

Thanks MTGomer, my best mulie is 172 so I'm really hoping to beat that. But I definitely wouldn't mind a lot bigger!!! I'm used to hunting my tail off up here in the cabinets so I'm sure I'll be shocked at the amount of game down there.

Thanks MTGomer, my best mulie is 172 so I'm really hoping to beat that. But I definitely wouldn't mind a lot bigger!!! I'm used to hunting my tail off up here in the cabinets so I'm sure I'll be shocked at the amount of game down there.

If you see a buck bigger than that and pass, you'd better be okay with eating the tag. There's bigger ones in there, but not many.

I bet if you had a way of finding the average score of bucks killed in 270, it'd be a lot closer to 150 than 180.

I will eat the tag if i have to. If i get a shot at a decent one with my bow then I'll take it . It just has to get my heart pumping!

If you see a buck bigger than that and pass, you'd better be okay with eating the tag. There's bigger ones in there, but not many.

I bet if you had a way of finding the average score of bucks killed in 270, it'd be a lot closer to 150 than 180.

^^^^^. Lot's of bucks. Lots of nice bucks that I would love to shoot but the deer Rick killed in this video ended up scoring 169 and change. It was the biggest out of about 100 or more buck we saw during the season. We saw some as big or bigger in August, but couldn't turn them up when rifle season came around.

https://vimeo.com/53728874

^^^^^. Lot's of bucks. Lots of nice bucks that I would love to shoot but the deer Rick killed in this video ended up scoring 169 and change. It was the biggest out of about 100 or more buck we saw during the season. We saw some as big or bigger in August, but couldn't turn them up when rifle season came around.

https://vimeo.com/53728874

Awesome video!

I looked over 257 4 pnt or better bucks from start of scouting in Aug thru archery and rifle season. Lots of deer up to 170. 21 -170-175, 7 175-180 and 3 180+,One I tried to get in on and lost him and one was a giant, well into the 190s that I messed up on an will haunt me for life.

This isn't a complicated unit. Almost all the lowland is private... mostly 1 ranch. There are rds all over. They are open in archery and close during rifle. Most of the bucks summer on forest and rut on private.

I found good bucks in all parts of the unit. I found good bucks way up high on the divide and I usually almost hit a good buck every morning going up Rye Cr by the apple tree.

Your going to have to scout it. All there is to it. Like was said its a once in a lifetime likely tag. Make the most out of it

phutch30, what year did you have the tag? Sounds like you were there in the hey day in the mid to late 2000's?

I used to go down there every year in December and look at the bucks on the winter range. It was incredible. I'd see multiple 200"ers a year. Now you're lucky to see a couple over 170" after the season.

Somewhere I've got a pile of hi-8 video cassettes with lots of big deer footage, I need to dig that out.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that video. It's great to see the country. Nice buck too! You guys did a great job videoing. Was that on block management?

Congrats Cabinet!

Funny how this stuff is a secret to some. Makes me laugh. Not long and people will just stop sharing here.
Its the best tag in the state and they will never draw again but they have a secret :rolleyes:

Send me a PM - i will gladly fill you in. This is a easy unit to hunt and you don't need to scout it.

Don't believe the nay sayers - it IS the best draw in the state...

Congrats Cabinet!

Funny how this stuff is a secret to some. Makes me laugh. Not long and people will just stop sharing here.
Its the best tag in the state and they will never draw again but they have a secret :rolleyes:

Send me a PM - i will gladly fill you in. This is a easy unit to hunt and you don't need to scout it.

Have you seen the bucks coming out of HD261?

Congrats Cabinet!

Not that it's a secret more like they don't feel like giving a free handout to someone who has never posted on the forum before, but is asking for spots in his first post?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back