Caribou Gear Tarp

Upper Missouri Paddlefish fishing

Desert Sheep

Greetings,

My son had been pestering me to put him in for paddlefish, so I did and he drew for Fort Benton to the Fort Peck dam.

So I'm like "now what?"

We've been doing our internet research, but my biggest questions are - can you rent the equiptment? We don't have a pole like we've seen online. And where is a good place to go? Is there a lot of public access and competition for spots?

Any bit of info is appreciated.

Here's one of his trout from last Saturday.

20170422_112201.jpg

Don't know about rentals, but I picked up a setup from Walmart for about $100 and restrung it with some better line. Worked well enough for the snagging we were doing at Glendive. It's a good time fishing for a very cool, IMO, fish.

I'm not aware of any place that rents gear. Competition for spots will be high at access points but most people give each other a little room. The further you get from campgrounds and access points the quieter it will be. Be prepared for a tired kid after 20 minutes of hucking heavy weighted hooks and aggressively reeling.

I snagged here on the Osage river in Missouri once and said if I wanted to work that hard I'd get paid for it. I also did not like the taste of them. You will both be tired, but good luck.

You can buy cheap combos for around $50. You should probably buy a couple as they sometimes don't take the abuse. Keep your receipt and take it back if you don't use it

Also, that stretch of river you are fishing can be very hot and cold with regards to #of paddle fish caught. And as others have mentioned, its hard work tossing those rigs around. Might be able to get away with one set-up and just take turns.

yeah, it will wear you out for sure. Taking turns is what we do. We snag below a local lock and dam on the mississippi so it requires heavy duty tackle. I have a 15' ugly stick with a shimano baitrunner reel. I spool 100lb test power pro. I have a barrel swivel from the power pro to a 4' piece of nylon twine. Large treble hook about halfway down the nylon and a large weight on the end. I make my weights from steel round stock, would go broke buying lead weights. The area is rip-wrapped so loosing the setup happens often. We probably catch 25 asian carp to every spoony we catch.

I'll repeat a lot of what others have said.

A 7' Walmart Catfish spin setup has caught plenty of fish for me. I have better stuff now, but that works great. The biggest tip I will give you, and it is at your own risk to ignore it, is buy good line. Honestly, crap monofilament is a waste of time. 60# Spiderwire will give you another 20-30 yards of distance, and when everyone else is beating the hell out of the water at 40 yards, being able to get past them is a real asset.

We drew tags last season. Watched a guy next to us work his tail off with a 6' rod, monofilament, and a 6 oz weight. He never did snag a fish. Just couldn't get enough distance to get past the beaten up water and rip rap. Told him when he filled he could use my rod, but he never came back in the morning. I would have used a 3oz weight, and 40# Spiderwire with that setup and caught fish. He didn't like my advice. Oh well, I tried.

It isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Both of my wives have snagged a pile of them, as have several of my buddies wives. Strong young man who wants to catch a fish will have no problem.

We just drew our archery paddlefish tags for June here in South Dakota. It used to be in July and August. So glad they changed it.

Buy the gear, it's cheap. I do upgrade the reel and bring another reel because it is the middle of nowhere and if it breaks there's nowhere to get a new one, and the super cheap ones do break
There's a YouTube video that shows you simply how to tie everything.

My advice: now that it's draw and not quota, maybe skip the opener.
If you are on the south side off musselshell trail or much past rock cr on the north side and you even think it might rain, get the hell out. The gumbo is no joke.

Lot of guys fish at FR bridge or slippery Ann. I like to drive down and find a spot where I have to walk a bit to get off the road. You can get away from people.

Mind your Ps and Qs. The BLM fish cop is anti hunting/fishing and she will harass you for anything and I mean anything. Don't set an empty beer can next to your foot as you fish, don't turn your back to your set line if you're also cat fishing and don't put your sauger in your buddy's cooler that is camped with you.

Last edited:
I Will add abit to what has been said... You don't need a big rod as mentioned a 7' catfishing rod works wonderfully, it is waaaay easier on you and fun when you hook them. I use 80 braid. Casts farther and tough as hell. My 10 year old girls use this rig and catch the hell out of them north of town here where we can catch and release.

I think a good cheap option is one of those Shakespeare Ugly Sticks in Medium Heavy-Heavy action. There's a youtube video of a guy trying to break one and is casting a milk jug full of water. He even pulls a trailered pontoon boat.

A possible cheap alternative is the Cabela's King Kat. I think they are like $40. I agree spiderwire or something braided is the way I'd go.

My dad and I drew our first ones as well. I'll be out there some weekend of May.

There's no way a 7' foot rod would work where I am unless you were snagging from a boat. You have too at least reach the second lock on a cast which is around 100 yards. Further one can cast, the better the catch.

snagging.jpg

Drew second choice catch-and-release. Guess I will be taking pictures somewhere else.

There's no way a 7' foot rod would work where I am unless you were snagging from a boat. You have too at least reach the second lock on a cast which is around 100 yards. Further one can cast, the better the catch.

View attachment 70202

Ya, if they were snagging down there I would recommend heavier equipment for sure. Just the abuse from the asian carp would make it necessary. No carp in Montana.

I've never ranged it, but I bet with a 7' rod, 40# Spiderwire, and a three ounce weight, I'm right at 100 yards. I use a 12' rod now, but my wife won't use it as it is too hard for her manage. She snagged a pile last fall with a 7' Berkeley Big Game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back