Would you, could you in the rain? Would you, could you go insane?

LandDiver

Good Morning! Ha ha! Sitting here looking at the weather forecast for the day to see if I can squeeze in some range time, and thinking about my first September coming up this year...

My Question:
Would you let an arrow fly at <40 yards in the rain, in thick forest and brush?

Knowing that you've spent many hours at the range leading up to that moment, and are more then confident about your shot placement and accuracy at that distance. Granted I hear adrenaline can throw everything you've practiced out the window in seconds (especially for a first timer like me), but would you? Rain would wash any chance of tracking sign away, and the thought of potentially not finding an animal is heart breaking.

Curious to see other's point of view on this. Hope everyone has a great Monday.

Its been a while since I bow hunted but here is my experience. I always shortened my max distance to the range that I was really proficient. For you it may be forty, for ne it was more like 30. Of course whitetails in timber is different than out west. My experience is that a descent shot left enough blood to follow for a little while. The coagulants keep it together for a while even in heavy rain. However just knowing the direction they ran is usually good enough with a descent shot.

Good question, I'll be interested to hear other opinions.

Shot a bull at 35 yards this year just before a rainstorm came in. After experiencing first hand how hard tracking in rain/snow can be, I have completely changed my perspective on bow hunting in the rain. Making a good shot doesn't matter too much if the animal can still run far enough before dying to make you rely on a blood trail. I haven't seen any research on it, but I would guess the rate of recovery plummets when hunting in precip. At least in the mountains.

I will not hunt with archery eq in the rain. Even at 10 yd there are too many variables. One "perfect" hit animal only goes 30yd and tips over and the next does a 1 mile circle and falls a few hundred yards behind the shooter or in the next drainage. Blood trailing is impossible tracking is effective sometimes but it really depends on the soil and how many animals are in the area and in that particular group.

Don't worry, this spring has been an unusual soaker (look out the window). I'd guess we get less than 5 days of precip here in Sept.

Thanks guys. I feel the same as well.

Twsnow I went out yesterday to do a little scouting in hopes of finding a place a bear likes to hang out. Probably was in totally the wrong area lol, but still a lot of snow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back