Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rangefinder

Hands down the sig is best I've used or owned.
Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell, and Leica are not as good on deer size targets.

Hi! My advice to you is that you look through a couple of rangefinders before purchasing any so you won't regret. Better cry once than cry always. You should also consider Burris 4-16x50 with a laser rangefinder. There are lots and lots of good quality and affordable rangefinder scopes out there.

[video=youtube_share;LqFSsXdJS34]https://youtu.be/LqFSsXdJS34[/video]

I have a Vortex and what sold me on it is the warranty. They cover everything unless it is lost or stolen.

I have a Vortex and what sold me on it is the warranty. They cover everything unless it is lost or stolen.

Sig has an "Infinite Guarantee" on all optics and 5 years on electronics which is much better than the 2 years most of the industry offers. That said, Vortex giving a lifetime warranty on electronics is hard to beat...... but it is going to end up being very expensive for them.

I have Leupold and Vortex. Prefer the Leupold as I think the operation is a little smoother.

Both seem to range correctly. The Vortex just seems to not respond to pushing the button. Might need a little more practice.

The Sig 1250 is all most will need.
I have ranged steel targets out to 1400 yrds. with mine.
Likely the last I'll ever own.

As said by most others, the Sig Kilo series is the best bang for the buck on the market. I make a living using these type of products, I personally use the SIG Kilo 2400 AB and it's worth every penny. However using ballistic solvers requires a level of dedication to truly understand what the outputs are compared to the inputs. I also have a Vectronics unit, but most people are not willing to spend over $10,000 on a rangefinder by itself. Again, understandable but I'm doing professional things with them and need a true professional product. That being said the Kilo is great, learn how to bracket out your beam devergence on a skylined object before going into the field so you understand how to use your particular unit, just because I say my beam locations are "here" does not mean your same model will have the same location. The worse combination of rangefinder performance is when the sun is full, looking at an angle even remotely close towards the sun angle with a low reflectivity object (i.e. furry animals) because the range finder is looking for protons of light, its inundated with them in the scenario given, causing an error because it does not know what is it's own laser and what is something else.

The general rule of thumb for hunting with a range finder is take the advertised worse case range capabilities and cut it in half to have a reliable distance use in the field. Even though I have a range finder capable of ranging nearly 18 miles (yes really that far) doesn't mean I have any intent to shoot that distance but it does give another tool for navigation, planning, and execution in the hunting arena. Think about spotting a target animal, not just ranging the animal but being able to range land marks to plan an approach and a shooting location that gives you the shot you want before ever leaving the spotting location. Simple triangulation on azimuths can save distance and precious time in the field when things really matter.

Bryan Litz's book; Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting, Vol. II (2016) has a wealth of information with this subject among many many others. I highly recommend his entire library of books for those who want to be serious about their shooting, even if long range isn't your game, the understanding of ballistics, internal, external, and terminal ballistics makes anyone not only a better shooter but a better hunter.

I am not paid by any of the products listed or discussed, however I am a paid shooter for many other products, just full disclosure.

V/R
Ben

Very informative info.
I have thought similar about taking the rating of my range finder at half value for a likely reliable range.
I rarely shoot past 500yrds. And I suspect most hunters are the same.
I simply don't have the space in my target area to stretch out much past that.
I can travel to a range with more distance ,but can't go often.

Thanks for the information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back