Caribou Gear Tarp

380-20 Elkhorns Montana

Remington1

It looks like I was one of the few that drew a elkhorns bull tag this year, after years and years of applying I guess I'm excited to see what this area holds for me. I am not a whole lot familiar with the area and would like to learn more or get any helpful information, I live in western Montana so not to far from the elkhorns. I plan to hunt archery, rifle and do some scouting before the season starts. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.:)

Congrats! Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you some info that will be helpful. The Elkhorns are a pretty special place!

I'm green with envy. I was lucky enough to add another point for 380 this year. I have had several friends draw it and I feel it's better to have a bow in your hand than a rifle with that permit. We had better luck in the north end of the unit. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply's. I'm hoping to take one with my bow, since what I've read and heard it gets slammed with people during rifle season for spikes and cows.

I've had the tag and if I had it again I would take all bow season off and hunt every day. It is really a special place in bow season. Once the first shots f rifle season it get real tough. There are a lot of cow hunters so getting away from roads helps.

I've had the tag and if I had it again I would take all bow season off and hunt every day. It is really a special place in bow season. Once the first shots f rifle season it get real tough. There are a lot of cow hunters so getting away from roads helps.

During the elk rut/bow season were alot of the cows down on the private property?

380-20 tag

I also drew the coveted tag and will be scouring the internet/friends/associates/bystanders any one any where for any tibit of information.

I think its a better archery unit than rifle unit. I think its reasonable to expect a mid 320s-330 bull archery and 330-340 bull rifle if u hunt hard. There are for sure bigger bull than that in there if your dedicated. Buddies bulls have run from 325-358. Ive had a couple buddies eat it too after passing up solid bulls.

Last edited:
I had the tag last year and got some good advice, which was to pick a few spots, hunt them and don't worry about what people are seeing elsewhere. The fun thing was that when you found elk there was often a good 300ish bull with them, as opposed to a raggy younger herd bull, as often happens in more heavily hunted areas. I had private land access and saw big bulls, and was close to big bulls but a lot of the alfalfa field type hunting is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
In the end I shot a nice bull toward the end of September certainly my biggest elk, but not the 350 bulls some people shoot. It was a great experience and I would urge you to enjoy it. Many, many people eat that tag, which is ok too, but set realistic expectations and have fun. I shot my bull about a half mile from the road about ten miles from any private land and I honestly think that there is great hunting on public and block management and the private land is not that helpful. So drive around and hike a bit this summer and go hunting, it's great.

And congratulations, Cabinet Hunter, I believe we met and talked a bit, you shot a great bull.

Thank you guys for the advice. Very helpful information. Im planning on making a trip over soon to get a lay of the land if the snowpack ever wants to leave :) .

Had the tag 5ish years ago. The two pieces of advice I would reiterate are to: 1) find a few good areas and stick with them unless they "cool" down. You can burn a lot of time chasing rumors. 2) hunt as much of archery season as you possibly can. It is the best hunting I have ever experienced. Congrats and good luck.

An amazing bull!! He will score well and make a lot of steaks. That bull is a real trophy.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back