Extra Money

How much does biolife pay? I've heard of people doing it, figured it might be some easy money for tags, gas etc.

You need to shop around if you're interested. It can be benificial to look and call around. For example-Biolife here pays $20 for your first donation of the week and $50 for your second donation of the week. Right now the one in my area is doing a $50 your first 5 donation deal. Worth trying anyway. I end up with about $280 a month. Some areas pay less. But, here is the kicker, north and south of are centers who pays more for people who do their vaccination programs and mine does not. So if you're willing to be vaccinated for the hepatitis series they will pay extra as long as your antibodies are up. South of me they end up paying over $400 a month as long as your antibody levels stay high (everybody's body is different so don't plan on that happening.) But it's worth a shot if you don't mind a free vaccination! It's to far for me as I would spend more in gas and time than the extra is worth. My daughter in Boise says the center she goes to pays $35 for the first donation and $45 for the second. So... call around and ask.

It's amazing that people will actually buy 10 year old beat to death skis.

I never even thought that was possible in CO with all the skis floating around. I have a literal pile of skis in various configs in my basement. Even @ $20/pair that would cover my CO resident deer/elk tags.

BWCA - As a business owner - I'm all about budgets. But, I've learned that once you start getting too refined and heavily detailed on separate budgets for everything hunting-related, you edge closer to that deep, inky black hole of "cost per pound" - which for most of us is god***n frightening if you peek too far into it :)

I have a fully funded emergency fund 6-12 months income and a general savings account that the wife and I use to save money for vacations and hobbies. When the general savings hits our goal we start spending the excess on luxury items. We started small but if you are diligent it can add up.

Last edited:
This is the one I meant to quote as frigin hilarious!!!!

John, it's a good thing your a veteran and get the VA to cover the STD treatments. The cost for the swabs is out of control. It would really cut into your Meth profits. Personally, I find it better to just stick with selling all of my VA meds to old people after Obama care started up. A lot less risk and they always have money when they cash their Social Security check.

I never even thought that was possible in CO with all the skis floating around. I have a literal pile of skis in various configs in my basement. Even @ $20/pair that would cover my CO resident deer/elk tags.

BWCA - As a business owner - I'm all about budgets. But, I've learned that once you start getting too refined and heavily detailed on separate budgets for everything hunting-related, you edge closer to that deep, inky black hole of "cost per pound" - which for most of us is god***n frightening if you peek too far into it :)

Amen to that.
I think it's impossible to sell skis in CO on craigslist for any real money but ebay lets you tap into the midwest crowd and those guys love a good deal on skis. I like to think that some kid is living out an aspen extreme fantasy crushing moguls at boyne or crystal on my volkl dragon slayers. I unloaded 4 pairs from my comp days at $75 a pop.

Glad to hear that no one (except maybe Cushman) is prostituting themselves in the name of gear! :W:

I know this thread is old, but I am fairly new here. I started a part-time job working at Ted Stevens airport doing what I did in the military before I retired from the AF. It was good money when I actually picked up shifts, but after 4 months of working every weekend the wife was not happy. I had a hard time finding new full time career this summer when I retired, so I took a contracting gig in Afghanistan. The pay is good, but being away from the family all but 4-5 weeks a year is rough. I have two BS degrees and a MBA, I am to the point that once I leave here, financially I can work at Home Depot or Lowe's and live comfortably. While we are always looking for ways to earn extra money to support our hobbies, sometimes those ways to earn the extra cash takes us away form our hobbies and it's not worth it.

Vortex has a military discount. All of my hunting budget comes from extra jobs. That keeps my wife's budget in line and her happy.

I have a portion of every check direct deposited into a separate "play" account. Works for me and can add up fairly quickly if you forget about it

Overtime.

I figure it is better to let everyone else do what I dont do for a living. lol

I tried to sell stuff to make up for it but I dont negotiate well with sells and I always ask too much because I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Ebay. I'm salaried so OT is not available. I've taken most of the things that are in our storage room that haven't been touched and sold them on eBay. 100% of my gear purchases this year and next year will be from selling old guitar equipment, hunting stuff I wasn't happy with and other things just sitting in storage.

Time to sell some stuff you don't use on e-bay. Great way to clean up things you don't use and buy things you want without using the debit or credit card.

I also know guys who get tables as the local gun shows to sell off excess gear they don't need so they can buy more stuff.

Basically, I try to save some of my money on purchases of new equipment for hunting, but if I urgently need this or that thing (for example, a good discount for it), then I try to find extra money. I used to work in Uber after my main job. Now I have bonuses at my main job and this helps me save more money.

Lots and lots of OT is how I pay for most of my stuff. So far this year I think I have 4 weeks with less than 55 hours. Most weeks lately I have averaged close to 75 hours.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back