Caribou Gear

PayPal scam

VAspeedgoat

Maybe this is old news but just in case I'll post. I have gotten some emails referring to purchases I've made with my paypal account via email. It is very official looking and has reference numbers and various telephone numbers. The jist of it is to get you to "verify" your paypal account and payment information. I would like to pretend that I didn't fall for it but I've had issues with paypal in the past and had entered card information and address before I got concerned. I called the company that supposedly sold the items and they made me aware of the scale of this scam. I've since received 3 more emails. Anyway, it was dumb on my part but maybe this will catch y'alls attention and keep it from happening. Got new cards so no harm done yet anyway.

I've also gotten scam emails about my alledged amazon purchases, Fedex unable to deliver click here for details, your recent visit to walmart claim your free $100 gift card click here, one email supposedly from my internet provider saying click here to see you new lower rate.
There is no end to the way scammers try to rip us off and we must be ever vigilant.

Did you notice any words spelled wrong or terrible grammar? Is intentional so that only dimwits will funnel through the first step in the scam by clicking on the email. Even non-hunters understand the importance of locating funnel points when going hunting for prey. No need to waste time with having cautious prey ready to bail at any moment during the scam.

There is now software that can connect your email adress to your ip. Brows a site and you'll get marketing emails. I figured this out when I looked up some specialized part for aatv, and got an email shortly there after from them... the only thing I did was visit their site.

I don't reply to any email unless I initiated the discussion.

Scammers are everywhere.

Hover your mouse over the clickable link and you'll see the address isn't from paypal or the supposed sender.

Did you notice any words spelled wrong or terrible grammar? Is intentional so that only dimwits will funnel through the first step in the scam by clicking on the email. Even non-hunters understand the importance of locating funnel points when going hunting for prey. No need to waste time with having cautious prey ready to bail at any moment during the scam.

The only misspelled word was the name of the shoe company which is impossible to know. It was sent as shipping information and had both the company and paypal in the email. I didn't think twice about opening because it was for a shoe company and I knew my wife had been looking. They were good, had last 4 of my card and even knew it was a cabelas card. This was not a typical scam email. I suppose I fall into the dimwit category after this but, the level of information they had on me made it seem legitimate.

Ever wonder how you can buy something at a store then see the add on a side bar the next time you're on the computer?
You're tracked everywhere you go, from your pc to the grocery store to the bills you pay. Separate passwords for forums, email accounts, and financials will help but you just don't open anything unless you are expecting it.

I try to avoid PayPal at all costs. They do not support the second ammendment. It's against their policy to use PayPal for guns, ammo, and magazines purchases. I refuse to use them for any business transactions because of that.

Our gun club in Houston uses PayPal to process membership dues. According to the club (and since one of our directors is on the NRA BOD I believe them) the antigun stuff about paypal is bogus.

I am hoping to get the phone call from the IRS claiming I owe money. I plan to have some fun with that one.

Another one is the fundraiser call from the police. Just ask how much of the money goes to the police - it is usually 10%.

Our gun club in Houston uses PayPal to process membership dues. According to the club (and since one of our directors is on the NRA BOD I believe them) the antigun stuff about paypal is bogus.

I am hoping to get the phone call from the IRS claiming I owe money. I plan to have some fun with that one.

Another one is the fundraiser call from the police. Just ask how much of the money goes to the police - it is usually 10%.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/...-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-FAQ585

Thanks, It's not bogus as Schaaf provided. I was using paypal as a Credit card processor and they literally without warning shut my business down as I scrambled to get set up with a company that supports the 2nd. They WILL NOT allow you to process credit card transactions for not only guns, but ammo and mags. FACT. They will also, as they did with me shut you down without notice just because you sell ammo or mags on your website. You still going to tell me that Paypal is good for hunters and shooters?

Thanks, It's not bogus as Schaaf provided. I was using paypal as a Credit card processor and they literally without warning shut my business down as I scrambled to get set up with a company that supports the 2nd. They WILL NOT allow you to process credit card transactions for not only guns, but ammo and mags. FACT. They will also, as they did with me shut you down without notice just because you sell ammo or mags on your website. You still going to tell me that Paypal is good for hunters and shooters?

I've bought stuff through Bass Pro Shop and those things will come up with a disclaimer that you can't use paypal to pay for them.

You really should find another business for your gun club.

Somebody needs to force PayPal to 'bake the cake'. I don't actually believe that, but what's good for the goose....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back